Elbow rehab question

Started by Theodore Bushnell, January 21, 2009 · 6 Replies · 2,853 Views

Theodore Bushnell

About a week ago I developed some elbow (medial) tendonitis which I assume resulted, at least in part, to an increase in training volume (added 5 min of handstand work 2x/week on top of 4x/week FSP/FBE steady state work - week 5, that I was already doing).

I have been resting almost completely since the flair (trying to do some wrist conditioning and reverse curl negatives in the last several days), added vit C and fish oil.

My pain is improving but some discomfort remains (some at baseline), most noticable with activity if I try a FL variation or pullup variations. Planche variations and pushing in general seems to generate minimal discomfort. My question is how best to gauge when work can resume safely. Can I expect some discomfort no matter what when I resume training, or does any discomfort indicate my return is premature?

When I do return, should I jump in the old steady state schedule or should I start back in a different way.

Sure is tough to sit on the sidelines. Perhaps I should exclusively ride my bike (the other exercise that I enjoy) for another week or so (hopefully not).

I appreciate any replies.

cheers,

ted.

braindx

Do some myofascial release and cross friction massage on your WHOLE forearm + the upper arm as well. Cross friction especially on the flexor tendons at the medial epicondyle. Ice if soreness. Strengthen your EXTENSORS and stretch out your flexors.

Avoid pain. Go back into exercise slow.. if stuff hurts then avoid it.

It's overuse and overuse generally recovers with rest, heh. Pain = abnormal = you need to back off.

George Launchbury

I second that advice.

I have suffered from this a lot in the past. Rest, rest, rest is good for recovery ...but to keep it away you do need to massage and stretch. I am a little lazy :oops: on strengthening the extensors, which is probably why I get the occasional flare-up!

George.

Theodore Bushnell

thanks for the replies and good advice.

Any suggestions on how to learn more about the myofascial release/massage techniques. I have not yet googled that, but I will.

Cheers,

ted.

Graham Smith

G'Day Tbushnel,

This free e-book by Mike Robertson is a comprehensive guide to self myofascial release. It's a great read, and sounds like exactly what you're after.

Richard Duelley
Primate said:
G'Day Tbushnel,

This free e-book by Mike Robertson is a comprehensive guide to self myofascial release. It's a great read, and sounds like exactly what you're after.

Brilliant! Thanks for the link, its now on my desktop. 8) I have been looking for information about this and I currently don't have funds to buy a book.

Thanks

Theodore Bushnell

Thanks Primate. That article should do the trick.

Cheers,

ted.