This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE1 Form Check

Started by Sven Ravnstag, April 30, 2013 · 10 Replies · 264 Views

Sven Ravnstag

Here's my effort at 5X9.  

 

Points I've focused on:

 

1) Lifting the heels off the ground do I don't use that leverage to start the curl up

2) Pressin the low back to the ground (like with FL/PE1) to start the curl up with muscular effort (trying to minimize momentum)

3) Attempting to crunch up as much as possible at the top (torso compression and knees close to chest).

 

Problems I see:

1) There's something off with the torso/leg coordination 

2) Are the knees coming close enough to the chest?  I have a long torso so inadequate compression could be the issue here

3) ???

 

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

 

http://youtu.be/3P4yHgHjnTc

 
Kai Schnaitmann

Hi Steve, I think your knees might need to come closer to your chest. Remember you are not only building strength and mobility but neuromuscular efficiency. As for your stiff legged windmill, they are way better then mine and I started at week 1 for this progression due to my lack of mobility. Keep up the good work and don't give up.

Riku Calderón

Hi there. I think you over think the movement. Try to do it in correct tempo and i think you will see a result thet is closer to the video. Cant see the windmill so i dont comment on that.

I think i have to film my things also to have a look :)

spyro7800

keep legs on the floor, press lower back to floor, and start lifting legs when your hands reach the position as athlete demonstrates in F1, your knees need to touch chest, I run last cycle 3 times in order to get the last bit of ROM. Also athlete in video is not using momentum, but the tempo is still faster than yours.

MvdB

Biggest 'problem' I see (Spyro pointed this out already) is that you should first lift your arms up until about 90° relative to the floor, following through with your upper body and legs. It's a pretty dynamic movement.

 

If you have a long torso (as I do, too) trying to touch your knees to your chest will make your chest cave in when you reach the top position - try to think touching your thighs to your belly instead. It's about compression, not about specifically touching your pecs with your kneecaps.

Sven Ravnstag

Thanks everyone!  This feedback is very useful.

Sven Ravnstag

If bringing the knees to the stomach is a problem (not just a matter of fatigue; for some reason right now I just can't do it yet), are there any specific stretches or exercises that'd help address this (other than getting as close as possible with each prescribed rep)?

FredInChina

Very good effort Steve :) nothing to add, except.........

Maybe you could pick up the dirty socks and other "yet to be done" laundry before shooting a video?

And why keep the music for yourself?

 

:ph34r:  :D 

Keilani Gutierrez

I think what's giving you that disorientation on "what to move first, what to move next, stuff is moving by itself" is something i experienced before I started doing Tuck ups with a no arch on my back. start from a position where you feel like you're about to enter a hollow hold, but first press the lower back into the ground, the other flexibility stuff will come later with the hip flexor flexibility FL>iM and the Lats/Trapz iM from H1 and RC>iM

Keilani Gutierrez
Steve Sisk said:

If bringing the knees to the stomach is a problem (not just a matter of fatigue; for some reason right now I just can't do it yet), are there any specific stretches or exercises that'd help address this (other than getting as close as possible with each prescribed rep)?

focus on that posterior pelvic tilt thing, it's seriously helped me do quantum leaps in progress. 4x6 week was a killer for me a few weeks ago, where as now, 5x5 is effortful, yes, but not as draining by the 4-5 set

Sven Ravnstag
FredInChina said:

Very good effort Steve :) nothing to add, except.........

Maybe you could pick up the dirty socks and other "yet to be done" laundry before shooting a video?

And why keep the music for yourself?

 

:ph34r:  :D

As soon as I get home I shed the clothes of a student and go straight for the exercise shorts!

 

And if the music weren't in headphones, you wouldn't appreciate the magnitude of my effort (as evidenced by the funny breath sounds one doesn't notice until they post a video on the internet).