This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Korean Dips... ow ow ow

Started by Eric Xavier, April 30, 2013 · 13 Replies · 1,013 Views

Eric Xavier

I've never really been able to hammer these out.  Must be a question of balance/form, but these are not happening for me.  

 

My hips are in the way, or something.  I either do the nose first swan dive (when I try to fight the forward lean on the way down) or have the bar stuck at my waist (when I dont fight the lean but try going back up), doing an awkward bent arm back lever of sorts.

 

Maybe I'm going too deep, or I'm simply not getting the movement.  Looking at the videos it seems the athlete is curling (arching) himself up around the bar.  I go down and then keep jamming the bar to my waist.

 

Any pointers or advice?

Jon Douglas

It's really just pushing hips forward; to the point that your head almost tips backwards to accomodate.

Sorry; not really sure what tipped the balance for me on this-- one day I couldn't do it smoothly and the next I could.

 

I did find that I couldn't really do this with a relaxed body and all the effort in the arms; use your stomach muscles and more body tension, and practice, it'll come.

Ravn

Try to use an exaggerated down swing at first, provided that the extra downward momentum doesn't pull you off the bar. Like a pendulum, you'll get a bigger upswing in return, which will help clear the glutes of the bar. As you get into the groove, you can start to clean up the form.

Staying tight is key to getting back up.

LIE

I have a problem with this move too...but i see that in the video the atlhlete use a litle momentum when pushing up. Is that rite?

Nic Branson

Smooth motion, no bounce no jerk. Watch the video it is smooth and controlled. It should flow.

Nic Branson
Zach Armijo said:

The momentum is necessary but don't make it a crossfit pull up momentum type. The Korean dips are the PPPs of the F2 exercises. People will be stuck on technique and ROM for quite some time.

Watch a Kipping dip if you want bad.
Samui

I have noticed that korean dips are very challenging for beginners, and tough for their shoulders too which is probably both the flexibility & strength issue. I think there could be pseudo-korean dip variation before the real deal where the legs are supported by a wall or similar. I have used this to help my colleagues prepare their body for real korean dips and it has helped them tremendously.

Joshua Slocum
Nic Branson said:

Watch a Kipping dip if you want bad.

Eeeeewwwwww :facepalm:

 

Samui said:

I have noticed that korean dips are very challenging for beginners, and tough for their shoulders too which is probably both the flexibility & strength issue. I think there could be pseudo-korean dip variation before the real deal where the legs are supported by a wall or similar. I have used this to help my colleagues prepare their body for real korean dips and it has helped them tremendously.

Shouldn't the bench dips help out here? It's a similar shoulder position.

B1214N

What about RTO dips or Korean dips on rings? I guess those won't work, if the purpose of the Korean dips is for the shoulder mobility.

Art Vandelay

Im only on PE3 but I tried these today as I've got access to some good P-bars for over a month. Impossible  :eek:

 

Tried Russian dips too, could do them but with pretty poor form. They look way easier than they are, and I thought dips were my strong point,

 

Foundation never ceases to surprise and put your (lack of) strength/mobility in perspective.  

Jon Douglas

I'm very comfortable with Korean dips, but haven't quite got Russian dips down; I'm 'jumping' into the bottom of the dip 1-2/5 times. Will be concentrating on em until that hits 0 :) Josh's older video tip of doing partial descents from the bottom of the dip is helping a lot

Eric Xavier

Finally got these down.  Judging from the date of my first post looks like it took me two months (on and off of trying).

 

I thought I had a strength handicap somehow, and was not strong enough to do these properly.  As others pointed out, here and in other threads the technique far supersedes the strength requirement of this move (for me at least).

 

1) Keeping my body straight.  NO OVER-ARCHING BACKWARDS! Keeping the knees straight and not bent in the slightest.

2) Rhythm

 

This is basically what solved these for me.

 

It was counter intuitive but I need to struggle to keep my body straight and not arc.  I thought the arc would make it better in getting my hips away from the bar on the way up... it doesn't.  Keeping y body straight as I can ( still slightly arched ) and definitely keeping the knees straight is a must for me.

 

The rhythm was also key.  I can do them slowly but if I pause in the bottom position, game over.  Basically the momentum (even if doing them slowly) of my downward movement is necessary to get my feet forward on the way up.  If I pause at the bottom and lose the momentum, my feet will stay way behind and the bar will go to the usual parking spot behind my hips.

Bipocni
Zach Armijo said:

The Korean dips are the PPPs of the F2 exercises. People will be stuck on technique and ROM for quite some time. 

And suddenly korean dips make sense to me....

Nino Begovic
Eric Xavier said:

I can do them slowly but if I pause in the bottom position, game over.  Basically the momentum (even if doing them slowly) of my downward movement is necessary to get my feet forward on the way up.  If I pause at the bottom and lose the momentum, my feet will stay way behind and the bar will go to the usual parking spot behind my hips.

I'm curious. Are we supposed to use (or even create) the momentum in this dip variation?