This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Planche Lean Form check

Started by Sven Ravnstag, April 30, 2013 · 6 Replies · 107 Views

Sven Ravnstag

This is my effort at a PL Lean.  I've worked up to 18sec holds, but I decided to drop back and hand around at 12sec for a while to get the details right.

 

The points I'm focusing on are strong scapular protraction.driving the palms into the ground, as well as always pushing the envelope in terms of leaning forward.

 

The potential issue I see is the perhaps over-piking of my hips.  Is this something I should look at ellminating (it seems to come with my efforts of "lifting"/protracting the scapulae), or is it an acceptable variation based on my body type?  

 

Thank you for feedback!

 

http://youtu.be/V2J1MQiFmcQ

 
MvdB

Definitely try to get rid of the pike. My understanding is that you need to flatten your lower back using posterior pelvic tilt - any 'hollowing' should be restricted to your thoracic area (chest/upper back), resulting from strong protraction. Do you also pike during scapular shrugs?

 

Basically, assume the top position of a scapular shrug (hands directly below shoulders) and then lean forward maintaining the same shape.

 

*edit: I am not doing this exercise yet since I started at square 1 with F1 but I have done PL leans in the past and have a pretty good idea what they should feel like. Also, what I describe is what the movement in the video in the F1 course looks like to me.

Sven Ravnstag

Thanks for the suggestion!  Interesting you mention the post. pelvic tilt...When I first did the movement, it looked like my lowback was overly lordotic, and so perhaps I'm overcompensating now by using an anterior tilt.  I guess I need to work on hollowing the top without continuing it down into the lower spine/pelvis.  I'll re-video tomorrow and try out a couple other form variations.

 

Thanks again!

MvdB

Just for the record: with PPT I mean 'tucking the tail'. A strong PPT is part of what gives the hollow body hold (lying on your back) its banana shape. If you hold it against gravity in the PL lean it will automatically flatten to just the right shape. You may feel as if your midsection is sagging but as long as you maintain the right tension in your pelvic area you should be fine. I hope I'm explaining this clearly :) (English isn't my first language)

Sven Ravnstag

Actually I had misunderstood you; anterior pelvic tilt is what I tend towards and what I'm attempting to correct with the form in this video.  From what you've said (and what I see in the video), it looks like in an attempt to work on PPT I've arched the low and midback more than desirable.  

 

So I need to hollow the chest/shoulders, flatten the mid and low back, and maintain the PPT?  

MvdB

To get a feel for what I mean, you may benefit from assuming a basic pushup position and letting your hips sag a little with gravity (this will cause a slight arch in your back). Now counteract this by doing the PPT - nothing moves but your pelvis (in slightly more graphic terminology - tilt your package towards your belly button ;)). This should give you exactly the flat back you need. Provided that you tighten your abs and the rest, of course.

 

Please let us know how it works out!

Sven Ravnstag

Will do.  I'll give this a try with tomorrow's planche training, see how it looks and post it.

 

Thanks!