This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Rest intervals between PE/iM sets?

Started by MvdB, April 30, 2013 · 7 Replies · 277 Views

MvdB

I know that integrated mobility exercises serve as 'active rest' within a givenPE/iM set, but what about rest when moving from one PE/iM set to another (e.g., from HBP to RC)? Are there any guidelines? Right now I just take the time to breathe a little, shake out and check the required numbers for the next exercise. Maybe 1 to 2 minutes max. Too long, too short, just right? What do you guys do?

 

Early on in F1 we're doing more strength endurance than pure low-rep strength so it seems to me that longer rest intervals aren't necessary yet.

Christian

I do the same.

Joshua Slocum

Between exercises you should take the rest that you feel you need. Since the exercises are pretty basic and tend to focus on different portions of the body, the 1-2 minutes that you're already doing should be fine. If you start to find that you're fatigued going into a given exercise, that's a sign you may want to rest for a few more minutes. Some exercises are harder to do right after another (For example, doing HBP right after sPL work can be a lot on the shoulders and chest); you could rest more, or do a different exercise in between. 

mm356

I do this as well when doing all exercises together.  However, I typically view each exercise and iM as its own independent session, and sometimes I will spread those out throughout the day - maybe doing FL and HBP sessions in the morning and sPL and RC in the evening.  At times with hectic schedules I may even move an exercise to another day, with the idea that each exercise gets a minimum of two sessions in per week.

 

Not sure if this is kosher by design (would love to hear comments on this), but it has been working well for me so far. 

MvdB

Thanks guys, great info (mostly confirming what I thought but good to hear nonetheless :)). 

Joshua Naterman

I rest as needed. So far there has never been more than 2-3 minutes between the end of one work set and the beginning of the next, and that's with me pairing exercises. I find that I get better results that way.

 

There's nothing that can eliminate the biochemical need for recovering the initial cellular environment before performing the next set :P You do this faster as you continue training through the months, but it still has to happen.

 

*shrug*

Peekay
Joshua Naterman said:

I rest as needed. So far there has never been more than 2-3 minutes between the end of one work set and the beginning of the next, and that's with me pairing exercises. I find that I get better results that way.

Supersets?

strme

My rest is long enough for drink some water ;)