This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Progression guidance

Started by cheeto-man, April 30, 2013 · 7 Replies · 204 Views

cheeto-man

I've reached week 12,  for all 7 F1 elements at PE1/iM1.

 

On some elements, I feel confident in moving forward. FL for example. On others, I'm sure I need to go back. SL (ABH) for example. On others, I'm not sure what to do.

 

My questions are these:

 

1. On those I need to go back on, how far back should I go? To Week 1? 5? 9? For SL/PE1 (ABH) I was able to hold 5 sets for 60s, but it was really hard and I had TERRIBLE form. Or on RC/PE1 (Hinge Row) I completed all reps but on the last 2 sets I had my butt on the floor for about half the reps.

 

2. What if I completed a PE, I think with good form, but it was really hard, particularly those last reps in the last set or two? Ex, SP/PE1 (scapular shrugs), and HBP/PE1 (incline push up). Got all reps but it was fatiguing. Should I go forward or back for more work? If back how far?

 

I know this is probably an "individual determination," but does anyone have any more specific advice?

 

Also, should I mix up the order of doing the exercises? The program lists FL, sPL, HBP, RC and I do them in that order. So, I'm, really fresh for FL and rather pooped for RC, especially since I do them one after the other.

 

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, I haven't been able to find it. Thanks

Joshua Slocum

If your form is terrible as you say it is for SL1, go back to week 1 or 5 and build up again with correct form.

 

For RC, I would only go back to week 9; you're almost there, just need a bit more strength.

 

For sPL and HBP, you're fine. It should be fatiguing. 

 

You may want to give yourself a bit more rest time in between elements. You can switch up the order, but generally if you're feeling exhausted when starting an exercise, it would be wise to give yourself a bit of time to catch your breath. There is, of course, no resting allowed within a given exercise. 

dritar

1. My two cents, for ABH, if we are talking about consistently bad ROM I'd go to week 1 and work on bettering the ROM. Better ROM makes the hold harder so maybe it's better to start at the beggining. If it's and endurance thing where ROM is good when you're at the start of the set, but inexorably, slowly and unforgivingly the ROM worsens I'd go back to the last week where you can hold good form but it's sufficiently challenging, like week 5 or 9. 

 

2. My criteria would be if form is good and tempo is good and reasonably steady, I'd use a niceness criteria. If you said swear words, hissed or spit or made hilarious strained expressions redo a four week cycle. If instead you kept a face that wouldn't be ashamed of being posted online pass as even though it was a strenous effort go to the next element :).

cheeto-man

Thank you for these helpful responses!

mm356
dritar said:

 

 

2. My criteria would be if form is good and tempo is good and reasonably steady, I'd use a niceness criteria. If you said swear words, hissed or spit or made hilarious strained expressions redo a four week cycle. If instead you kept a face that wouldn't be ashamed of being posted online pass as even though it was a strenous effort go to the next element :).

OMG, you read my mind!  I did this very thing with ABH's last night.  On my big 5x60 moment I found myself constantly checking the clock and hating life so bad that I figured "if I hate it and dread it this bad, I must not be ready".  (Although my ROM question in another thread is still valid)  I'm gonna drop back to week 5 b/c I found 5x30 to be much more "comfortable" ... to where I don't have to curl up in the fetal position at even the thought of doing the exercise.  :)

Vincearoo

Is this Coach's standards?

I remember reading that there should be no shaking during an exercise because that is not mastery. Likewise, one shouldn't claim mastery over an exercise if it was"really hard", right?

chobbs
Vincearoo said:

Is this Coach's standards?

I remember reading that there should be no shaking during an exercise because that is not mastery. Likewise, one shouldn't claim mastery over an exercise if it was"really hard", right?

 

I haven't seen Coach post on this particular subject. However, I also can't imagine him letting his athletes progress further if they were giving indications that their current workload was too much. In fact, judging by some of his recent comments I think he would "reward" them with some extra time spent so they could sort out their problematic athlete-exercise relationship. :)

 

- Chris

Joshua Slocum
Vincearoo said:

Is this Coach's standards?

I remember reading that there should be no shaking during an exercise because that is not mastery. Likewise, one shouldn't claim mastery over an exercise if it was"really hard", right?

If an exercise is so difficult that it leaves you utterly exhausted afterwards, you need more time on it. However, a good amount of fatigue is to be expected, as you should be strongly exerting yourself. If you're tired, but ready to continue in a few minutes, that's fine. If you're completely winded and have to sit down for 10 minutes, you need more work. Note that this is assuming you performed every element with good form and tempo. Form or tempo breaks are also a sign that you need more work.