This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Starting F1 & Testing

Started by MiddledAged, April 30, 2013 · 4 Replies · 151 Views

MiddledAged

I've read the main boards for a while, lurked, own BGtB and purchased F1 this week.

 

I'm 37 (bout to hit 38 in May), 5 kids under 8, 5' 7", 195lbs and a crossfit lvl 1 guy (which means nothing in real world ;) ).  I do primarly strength (suck @ cardio) with 385x3 squat (can do 400+ but don't like going past that to much anymore, 445 DL, 180 Strict Press).

 

That said I just did day 1 of a 3 day split Testing and was humbled... :)

 

I failed the FL/PE 1 and got 1x60 (with shakes) and made it 30sec on 2nd but was done... wow core strength is a lot less then I thought...

 

sPL/PE1 I did fine though it was a more cardio than str issue with the little amount of rest.

 

HBP/PE1 I did again with no issue

 

RC/PE1 I failed as I really tried to keep my glutes off the ground.  With glutes on ground = easier (not easy, just easier) but with glutes off ground = WAHH.

 

Wednesday I'll finish up the other 3.

 

So on Friday I would assume I would start doing the week 1 of the two i failed and try for the next mastery testing on sPL & HBP?

 

Apprecaite your help guys and thanks for advising :)

Joshua Slocum

Sounds like you're on the right track! 

 

How is the MN/SLS/SL work?

chobbs

Don't start the actual sessions until you have all of the movements tested and zeroed in. Reason being that the weeks are supposed to be kept in sync for deload purposes. Some you may start off at week 1 and others you may start on week 5 or 9 depending on how you did during the mastery test.

 

Yes the core work is humbling. Core strength isn't so much being tested as strength-endurance ... able to DL 400+ is definitely not a weak core. Don't worry about it. Many on here, including myself, suffer from the same low-rep training strength only problem.

 

Also, don't forget to evalulate mastery of the iM element paired with the PE you tested. If you don't have the iM at mastery level then you are stuck at that PE until such a time.

 

- Chris

MiddledAged
Hari_Seldon said:

 

How is the MN/SLS/SL work?

 

Do those on Wednesday (following the 3 day a week plan)

 

Chobbs yeah I'm doin the IM also.  Nothing to bad yet.  My Right shoulder will eventually rear its head as far as my weakest link from an injury a year + ago during Fran (Crossfit WOD). 

MiddledAged

ok today i did the MN/SL/SLS and didn't pass any of the masteries.  The SLS part wasn't bad, but I'm not 'fluid' like the video in the sense of how I stand.  Mine don't 'pop' up like, and have more of a balance issue.  I can do all the other squats on the SLS to some degree of good success (haven't tested mastery of them obviously).  I see balance/support/flexibility as weak points.  I can Pistol well, but the Hawaiian squat shows my lack of flexability. 

 

So I figure I may just start week 1 when i actually start (finish testing sPL and HBP).  I guess the question will come down to which 'week' to start at for some of those (1/5/9).

 

Thanks again :)  I'm just enjoying having a well laid out program!