This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Should I train today?

Started by spinelli, April 30, 2013 · 4 Replies · 143 Views

spinelli

As some of you may recall I strained my neck the other week performing the arch body hold, I've since recovered and comtinued training. However after a very long weekend of sitting a lot in a car and playing a bit of bass my neck is quite fatigued and very sore.
I managed last week's training (week 9) with quite a bit of effort and slightly poor form on the last set and suffered no pain. My neck and back are steadily getting stronger and my muscles imbalances are sorting themselves out slowly. My question today is should I train today?
My neck feels very tired and is slightly painfull however it is also feeling much looser than it normaly does and my ROM is nearly that of a healthy person.

Should I continue with week 10 today (I'm not working ABH today) or should I wait until the stifness and soreness goes away?

Edit: Just to clarify my ROM has been restricted for a number of years and the fact it is not that of a healthy person is not due to the strain i suffered the other week

Joshua Slocum

It's generally better to let an injury heal rather than trying to squeeze in more work. 

chobbs

You generally already know the answer to questions like these. Listen to your body. Maybe some iM work to keep things moving, but I would refrain from strength work, especially that involving effort that compromises form.

 

- Chris

divingpeanut

If the neck was involved in intense effort yesterday or the day before that, you could have an extra rest day today. I usually let my warm-up dictate what to do.

spinelli

Cheers for the replies, I knew really I shouldn't train but I don't like to skip training without having a valid reason else I start to get into the habit of not training and I really do need someone to validate my decision not to train.
I'm going to have a hot bath and see if that helps everything relax