This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Rest times... must be reading this wrong

Started by Eric Xavier, April 30, 2013 · 15 Replies · 658 Views

Eric Xavier

Okay so for F1 rest time for PE's was basically doing the associated iM's.  

 

Just looking at F2 some iM's are as hard to do (for me) as the actual PE.  I don't think it will be possible for someone with my naturally slow recovery time to do something like the Tuck planche>Bent Arm 1/2 Straddle Planche Dbl Leg Ext>Tuck Planche back to back

 

Or even Negative SLS>Natural Leg Curl>Negative SLS

 

There's got to be some rest time in there somewhere.

Jon Douglas

It's a big step up and much more of a challenge than the basics in F1, but I don't think it's an unreasonable standard. Remember we're going for 'particularly strong even amongst gymnasts.'

 

F2 will definitely take me longer than F1...

FredInChina
Charm said:
(...) F2 will definitely take me longer than F1...

Are you planning on 5 months this time? :P

Jon Douglas
FredInChina said:

Are you planning on 5 months this time? :P

:P :P

I'm fairly sure I can do most of the PE/SE's on the face of it, with a couple of notable exceptions. This won't be smooth sailing though; cumulative volume and some *nasty* mobility will keep me doing at least 4 weeks on each one. I think the talented guys are going to start pulling away from the rest of us at this point... :)

 

Meanwhile I am still trying to get my 5x60 for RC6. Bah.

FredInChina
Charm said:
 (...) the talented guys are going to start pulling away from the rest of us at this point... :)

 

Hummm........ I think the ones that will be pulling away are the ones that have consistently put the work in for several years already. Some may also have talent and extraordinary adaptation/recovery ability, but first & foremost, they paid their dues. :)

Joshua Slocum
kskh2o said:

Okay so for F1 rest time for PE's was basically doing the associated iM's.  

 

Just looking at F2 some iM's are as hard to do (for me) as the actual PE.  I don't think it will be possible for someone with my naturally slow recovery time to do something like the Tuck planche>Bent Arm 1/2 Straddle Planche Dbl Leg Ext>Tuck Planche back to back

 

Or even Negative SLS>Natural Leg Curl>Negative SLS

 

There's got to be some rest time in there somewhere.

 

 

Your endurance and recovery abilities will improve with training. 

Jon Douglas
FredInChina said:

Hummm........ I thing the ones that will be pulling away are the ones that have consistently put the work in for several years already. Some may also have talent and extraordinary adaptation/recovery ability, but first & foremost, they paid their dues. :)

No doubt. Well, every PE I topple is one step closer to joining that lot~ talent would also be nice, but I'm also happy to do it with pure pigheaded stubbornness~

Joshua Slocum
Charm said:

No doubt. Well, every PE I topple is one step closer to joining that lot~ talent would also be nice, but I'm also happy to do it with pure pigheaded stubbornness~

The effect of 'talent' on a person's success pales in comparison to the effect of their work ethic. People often chalk up a person's success to their 'talent' as if it were some innate part of them. The fact is that the most talented people got that way not through having incredible innate skills, but through putting in an incredible volume of work. This can be hard to see because people usually show off the results of their hard work, and not the countless hours they put in to achieve those results. 

 

Hard work >> innate abilities. If you maintain your "pure pigheaded stubbornness" then in a few years people will be saying "man, I wish I had as much talent as Charm".

 

 

(Chaos Emeralds can help, too.)

Jon Douglas
Hari_Seldon said:

The effect of 'talent' on a person's success pales in comparison to the effect of their work ethic. People often chalk up a person's success to their 'talent' as if it were some innate part of them. The fact is that the most talented people got that way not through having incredible innate skills, but through putting in an incredible volume of work. This can be hard to see because people usually show off the results of their hard work, and not the countless hours they put in to achieve those results. 

 

Hard work >> innate abilities. If you maintain your "pure pigheaded stubbornness" then in a few years people will be saying "man, I wish I had as much talent as Charm".

 

 

(Chaos Emeralds can help, too.)

No doubt :P I didn't mean to come off as making excuses for myself, and definitely not downplaying the hard work that people ahead of me have put in. Apologies if that's how it sounded

 

I don't have any sort of inborn physical aptitude; it takes me a little longer to wrap my head around co-ordinated things. This is sort of a blessing in disguise, because by the time I do have it right, I've already put in a thousand reps; something I experienced a LOT in my first year or so in kung fu. Co-ordinated people seemed to get the steps and shifts so naturally, but it took me hours and hours of practice at home to get up to their standard. Once I got there, I knew it well enough to apply it with adaptability. That was an extremely important lesson for me.

 

I've sort of gone off track. Yes, hard work, it's my bread and butter. Ridiculous recovery ability and talent of muscle co-ordination would be awesome, but I don't have them.

 

 

Edit;

Actually, Chaos Emeralds would be useful, but there are philosophical issues with invincibility; you could train an iron cross safely at beginner level, but would you receive any muscle damage/stimulus to recover, or would it be more like insta-healing and you'd see shoulders visibly growing? Hmmm....

Joshua Slocum
Charm said:

No doubt :P I didn't mean to come off as making excuses for myself, and definitely not downplaying the hard work that people ahead of me have put in. Apologies if that's how it sounded

 

I was not trying to rebuke you. Just offering encouragement  :)

Nic Branson

There is no rule saying you cannot rest when you start. Just remember you need to cut the rest down in order to advance. You may need longer breaks for some things until you get a bit stronger. They should not be huge though.

Joshua Slocum
Nic Branson said:

There is no rule saying you cannot rest when you start. Just remember you need to cut the rest down in order to advance. You may need longer breaks for some things until you get a bit stronger. They should not be huge though.

This is very true. You could, for example, do the first 4-week mini-cycle with a 1 minute break between sets, and then go through again without the break. 

Eric Xavier

Thanks for the pointers Nic & Hari.

 

I do seem to have a general weakness when it comes to sustained strength.  My power output drops dramatically after the second/third set if I don't rest enough.  Gotta work on that. 

 

Wondering if general endurance work would help in that department.

Joshua Slocum
kskh2o said:

Thanks for the pointers Nic & Hari.

 

I do seem to have a general weakness when it comes to sustained strength.  My power output drops dramatically after the second/third set if I don't rest enough.  Gotta work on that. 

 

Wondering if general endurance work would help in that department.

 

Much of F1 is strength-endurance work. Just going through F1 should help you build up the endurance necessary to get through F2. 

Mats Trane
Hari_Seldon said:

The fact is that the most talented people got that way not through having incredible innate skills, but through putting in an incredible volume of work.

TRUE!

RyanC

        Most of these responses are not addressing the actual meat of what the guy is saying. I'll keep this short. Coach gave us a map. Just like with any map there is more than one way to get where you are going. The bottom line is that this series is about getting there. The there is to a sPL held for 10 seconds. Don't cheat. Follow the steps. Do everythihng. However, don't become a Neo-Nazi about the program. If you need a few seconds in between exercises then take a few seconds. If you need a minute then take a minute. I wouldn't go beyond a minute though. With any training regimen you need to be consistent. On your timer(i really hope you have a timer like HIIT) program in your rest for x seconds and stay with that for the Entire set. I.E. if you chose 20 seconds in between IM and the working set then add that on to your recovery time and then be Ready to go when it tells you to work. 20 seconds of work with a 10 second im and 20 second recovery/get ready for the next set time would be 30 seconds work with 30 seconds rest. Stay consistent, be smart, know your body.

 

                Now.... when it comes time to master it you better keep that recovery time super low! lol Maybe a short walk in a circle shaking out your arms. :icon_twisted:

 

                                               Your strength will come... there is no need to frustrate yourself on a journey this fun.