This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Critique of my testing for Week "12" (Foundation 1)

Started by strongyetagil3, April 30, 2013 · 8 Replies · 395 Views

strongyetagil3

So today I just wrapped up my testing for where I fall for F1's programming. I've been truly humbled and it makes me want to get get right to it and progress as quickly as I can this year! :)

I failed miserably for what I was expecting in the test in week 11. I also did all the advanced stretches at the furthest degree of difficulty as I was already quite limber for some of the movements...I just wasn't physically that strong as I had thought.

(I found a typo from the instructions saying go to week twelve and find 5x15r when that is actually applied to week 11*.)

Goals 1. FL/PE6 = 5x60sec  (Hollow Body Rock/ Shoulder Bridge Rock)
          2.  sPL/PE6 = 5x15r  (Elevated Planche Lean/ Prone Half Straddle SIngle Leg Extension)
          3. HPE/PE6 = 5x15r  (Parallel Bar Dip/ Single Arm Bent Cat)
          4.   RC/PE6 = 5x60sec  (Bent Arm Chin Hang/ Overgrip Bent Pull)
          5.   MN/PE6 = 5x15r  (Negative Hang Leg Raise/ Vertical Pike Pull)
          6. SL/PE6 = 5x60sec  (Reverse Leg Lift/ Outside Inside Outside Back)
          7.  SLS/PE6 = 5x15r  (Hawaiian Squat/ Shoulder Bridge Leg Curl)


The following results as numerically listed as is from above

1st. 31sec | 35sec | 36sec | 36.5sec | 38sec
2nd. 3 reps | 2.5 reps | 2.5 reps | 2 reps | 2 reps
3rd. 9 reps | 2 reps | 1.5 reps | 1.5 reps |  1.5 reps
4th. 31 sec | 32 sec | 37 sec | 40 sec | 40 sec
5th. 2 reps | 3 reps | 2 reps |  3 reps | 2 reps
6th 12 reps in 1 min | 12 reps in 1 min | 17 reps in 1 min | 14 reps in 1 min | 16 reps in 1 min
7th 10 reps | 5 reps | 3 reps | 3 reps | 3 reps


Based on this, where would you recommend I should start?

I came from a semi gymnastic background turned bodybuilder tuned powerlifter turned back to gymnastics as I missed it badly. Some of the things I used to be able to do when I was younger are THAT much harder when your body is longer aha.

I'm currently doing a 4 day split as recommended. Should I take a step back on some of those moves or should I just lower the volume? I'm still partially confused on how to set this up and I THINK I have a gist of understanding the programming of it.

It's similar to Wendler's 531 program with deloads to forever progress forward. (Actually from the looks of it, all the workout schedule's remind me of bodybuilding a way. Upper Lower, Full Body, and Body Part Specific to be exact. Aha)

All help would be massively appreciated as this is an almost entirely new world of fitness programming to me and I LOVE the challenge of trying to better understand it and master it!  :) 

Thanks again in advance.

FredInChina
strongyetagile said:

Based on this, where would you recommend I should start?

 

 

I think you should start by reading the F1 course documents :)

Then follow the instructions, so you know where to start your training cycle.

mmm

Fred's right. It doesn't seem like you've read all of the introductory pages. It only takes about 30 minutes and you'll have your answers. You'll need to do your testing again as it seems you've approached it backwards.

strongyetagil3
FredInChina said:

I think you should start by reading the F1 course documents :)

Then follow the instructions, so you know where to start your training cycle.

 

 

mmm said:

Fred's right. It doesn't seem like you've read all of the introductory pages. It only takes about 30 minutes and you'll have your answers. You'll need to do your testing again as it seems you've approached it backwards.

Was I supposed to do it as the following? Just to clarify I learned so I don't make the same mistake again..

Example: Test it as the following, FL/PE1 -> FL/PE2 -> FL/PE3 -> and so on and so forth until reaching PE6? And if I do reach PE6 WITH perfect form...I can then move on to F2 right?

 

Cannister

Yes you test starting from the ground up.  Master PE1 and its paired iM before moving on to PE2.  Even if the PE is super easy for you if you can't do the iM correctly you just keep repeating until you can do the iM, then move onto the next PE.  You can be at different levels for different elements (working PE2 for FL and PE5 for SLS).

 

All of this is explained with much more clarity in the actual document.  Read it.

Joshua Slocum

Also it looks like you've been reading the reps incorrectly. The elevated planche hold, for example, is a static pose held for time (30s to be specific), not for reps. 

strongyetagil3
Cannister said:

Yes you test starting from the ground up.  Master PE1 and its paired iM before moving on to PE2.  Even if the PE is super easy for you if you can't do the iM correctly you just keep repeating until you can do the iM, then move onto the next PE.  You can be at different levels for different elements (working PE2 for FL and PE5 for SLS).

 

All of this is explained with much more clarity in the actual document.  Read it.

 

 

Hari_Seldon said:

Also it looks like you've been reading the reps incorrectly. The elevated planche hold, for example, is a static pose held for time (30s to be specific), not for reps. 

I just finished up half of the testing needed to know where I stand and I corrected the mistakes. Like Cannister said, I was at many different levels. I'm exactly where I need to be for RC/PE6 as I started with PE1 for warm up and testing. I now need to master it.

Thanks again guys. I'm glad this a community that helps each other out figuring where our weaknesses are like a unit in the military.

I cannot wait to jump into F2 once I get stronger. It's now a patience game.  :icon_twisted:

Like bodybuilding...it takes almost a decade to look really really impressive, gymnastic's strength training is no different. I'm PUMPED. B)

Coach Sommer

Remember that each of the iMs need to be mastered as well.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

strongyetagil3
Coach Sommer said:

Remember that each of the iMs need to be mastered as well.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Of course coach, wouldn't dream of forgetting to master the mobility movements as well. I was finding that so far, most of my progressions directly align up with the assigned mobility exercises..so far.

I will see in due time if I should need to regress or advance for both iM's or progressions. The rest will be history.