This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Getting Started

Started by jwalker497, April 29, 2013 · 14 Replies · 490 Views

jwalker497

I am a little confused on how to get started assuming I start from the absolute beginning what do I do?

 

I do the 4 wrist stretches first then what?  Do I do the WP PE1 and SE1?  Which of those do I do first?

 

Lastly Handstand prep 1-6, 7-12, etc do I do thos as well?  If so, which of them do I do?  I read

 

Do I do all PE1 and SE1 elements and HS Prep 1 and SE 1?

Jon Douglas

Did you... read the book?

 

OK. Do the wrist stretches first, 4x10.

 

Then see where you stand on the wrist exercises. If you can do PE1 at 5x5 for all of them, note that down-- do PE2 next time instead, and so on until you work hard to complete one. Establish a working level on that one.

 

*Then* it's onto your HS work for the day. Same thing. Start at PE1 + IM1. See whether you can complete that at Wk11 level-- 5x60 IIRC. You are allowed a little longer here to rest because this is skill training not conditioning in the same sense as F1. Use a minimum of 3lb for the mobility work, don't try to go *too* too heavy, 3-5lb is required for progression. Ideally at shoulder width or a little inside, the stricter you are on form the better your outcomes will be.

If you complete it (being honest with yourself), next time, do one set of PE1 to warm up and then repeat for PE2. Continue this fashion until you complete the book.

 

So.

1. Wrist stretches

2. Wrist prep

3. HS work

 

Plenty of threads on the specifics of the mobility elements are here too, have a quick browse if you run into questions.

Hercules

:facepalm:

I'll make it simple - there's a chapter that corresponds to the topic title that will answer your questions.

jwalker497

I did read it but I expected it to be more lke F1 and the bottom part / HS Specific was confusing. me  thanks I understand now. 

Joshua Slocum

- Basic workout template is: do the wrist stretches, then do the wrist exercises you're currently working on, then do the handstand exercise you're working on.

- You master all the PE's before starting on the SE's.

Jon Douglas
jwalker497 said:

I did read it but I expected it to be more lke F1 and the bottom part / HS Specific was confusing. me  thanks I understand now. 

In this case, it's the 2 different streams-- one of wrist progressions, and one of HS progression. Just like Foundation, it goes from preparatory to specific. Good luck with training; the H1 workouts start out quite short and almost unsatisfying, but once that shoulder mobility starts appearing it's a beautiful thing.

jwalker497

So I do all 4 stretches, then I do all wrist prep and then I do all HS PE1.  I dont get into SE stuff till I get through everything else?

Jon Douglas
jwalker497 said:

So I do all 4 stretches, then I do all wrist prep and then I do all HS PE1.  I dont get into SE stuff till I get through everything else?

Here is my H1 workout from a couple weeks ago.

 

4x10 wrist stretches

 

WP SE4 5x5

FKP SE4 5x5

WR SE4 5x5

FTP SE4 5x3

--> I do these in a circuit, requiring no rest-- very quick to complete.

 

 

HS

2x 30sec PE5, 5IM5 (4kg, 5kg)

2x 10r PE6, 5 IM6 (4kg, 5kg)

2x 30sec PE7, 5 IM7 (4kg)

--> These are warmup sets of previously mastered elements, use your own arrangement as appropriate.

 

--

5x 30r PE8, 5IM8 (4kg)

--> This was my work set until I completed the mobility at shoulder width.

 

 

Once I complete PE12, I will replace it with SE1. Think of SE1 as PE13 in terms of progression.

 

Edit;

You'll note that the last SLS element in F1 is also an SE1, rather than PE5. The progression doesn't change, it's just on a different level of specificity for the 'goal' element. For example, HS wall runs are great prep exercises for many reasons (personally I love em) but since you're leaning against the wall and it's hard to balance for long periods while doing it, it does not *specifically* train you to hold an extended free handstand, while Chinese handstands (requiring full extension and good alignment) do. See how it fits together?

jwalker497

So I see you are working several HS elements.  I was under the impression we should be doing one at a time and then only doing previous versions once mastered as a warmup?  

 

EDIT - Warmup as in first thing you do?

 

Also how come you are only doing 2 sets of the HS preps where the book calls for 5 sets? 

 

 

 

I should be doing HS prep and HS Specific 1 elements, right?

Jon Douglas
jwalker497 said:

So I see you are working several HS elements.  I was under the impression we should be doing one at a time and then only doing previous versions once mastered as a warmup?   Also how come you are only doing 2 sets of the HS preps where the book calls for 5 sets? 

As it clearly says there, they are warmup sets of previously mastered elements.

My work sets for the element I am currently working are 5.

 

 

I can't tell if you are trolling me or not. Maybe someone else will answer your further questions, I will just wish you good luck and leave you to it from here out.

jwalker497

Trolling?  I dont even know what that means.

 

 I am asking sincere questions because Id like to get started if that helps.  I thought warmup would be done before anything else even the prep elements.  

 

These little things are important - like when you said you do the Wrist Prep stuff in a circuit, thats good to know and maybe I missed it but I dont remember seeing that in the book. 

Joshua Slocum

 

jwalker497 said:

So I do all 4 stretches, then I do all wrist prep and then I do all HS PE1.  I dont get into SE stuff till I get through everything else?

 

In one individual workout, you will do all the wrist stretches. Then you will do one exercise from each of the four wrist preparation exercises. Then you will do a warmup of previously mastered Handstand exercises. Then you will do a handstand exercise. 

 

An absolute beginner's workout would look like this:

 

Wrist stretches:

10x wrist stretch 1

10x wrist stretch 2

10x wrist stretch 3

10x wrist stretch 4

 

Wrist exercises: a giant set of:

3x1 Wrist Pushup PE1

3x1 First Knuckle Pushup PE1

3x1 Wrist Rock PE1

3x1 Fingertip Pushup PE1

 

Handstand exercise: a giant set of:

3x12s Tripod (HE/PE1)

3x10s Seated Shoulder Flexion (HS/PE1->iM)

 

 

 

One you master HS/PE1 and its iM, you will do HS/PE2. Once you master HS/PE2+iM, you start working on PE3, and so on and so forth until you master HS/PE12 and its iM. Then you start working on HS/SE1, then HS/SE2, etc.

jwalker497

Thanks Hari!

 

Lastly should the Stretches and Wrist exercises be done in a circuit?

 

Back to the HS prep and specific.  

 

So you do all HS Prep 1-6,  then after all thats mastered you move to HS Prep 7-12, then on to HS Specific 1-7 and then HS Specific 8-14?  is that correct?  

 

Unless in a warmup, you're never doing HS Prep and HS specific stuff together.

Joshua Slocum
jwalker497 said:

Thanks Hari!

 

Lastly should the Stretches and Wrist exercises be done in a circuit?

 

Back to the HS prep and specific.  

 

So you do all HS Prep 1-6,  then after all thats mastered you move to HS Prep 7-12, then on to HS Specific 1-7 and then HS Specific 8-14?  is that correct?  

 

Unless in a warmup, you're never doing HS Prep and HS specific stuff together.

 

Complete all the stretches one at a time. Then move on to the wrist exercises, which should be done together as a circuit. 

 

You are correct about HS Prep and HS Specific. They're all part of one, very long progression sequence. 

Coach Sommer

No, that is not correct.  You do not move up from working all HS/PE 1-6 to working all HS/PE 7-12 etc in a block fashion.  You focus on only one particular element and it's paired iM at a time.

 

Your confusion is probably arising from comparing Charm's training to your own.  Charm is using HS/PE 1-7 in his warmup because he has already mastered them and they are no longer his primary focus in his HS training; HS/PE8 and HS/PE8>iM are.

 

Your current HS workout should be as follows:

- You stretch the wrists.

 

- You condition the wrists.

 

- You train only HS/PE1 and HS/PE1>iM; you will work these elements until you have achieved the mastery requirements of them.  

 

- As you are a complete beginner and have not yet mastered any other HS/PE, you will have no other HS/PE that you will be using for warmups as Charm does (who is much more advanced in his HS work).

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer