I've been following a somewhat-Paleo diet for a few months now, and after cutting out the additives, preservatives, corn syrup, and hydrogenated oils from my regular daily consumption I would say my energy levels have stabilized and I feel pretty good.
But out of all the things I cut, I would say the hardest one for me was grains. I've read all sorts of crap about how bad grains are whether you're celiac or not, how they're what intiated the "diseases of civilization", etc. But I have read from Michael Pollan that he doubts an almost 6,000 year old western staple like bread is responsible for our sudden health issues, unless of course he's unaware of the latest research on grains.
Now, I haven't really eaten ANY grains/bread in the last couple of months except for white rice, which I hear is perfectly fine due to it being gluten-free and having the phytic acid stripped from it, and two slices of pizza and a piece of german chocolate cake and rum cake due to family events; all of which caused me NO stomach problems or anything else significant, so I think it's safe to say I'm fairly gluten tolerant.
From what I understand, though, is that gluten affects everyone the same and tears up your stomach lining, but to varying degrees depending on the person and usually leads to IBS, leaky gut, etc. I even heard someone on Marks Daily Apple say that eating just ONE piece of bread can cause TEN DAYS worth of damage to your stomach lining, and Mark Sisson himself is absolutely against grains as he believes we humans we not designed to eat them. On the other hand, I've heard on this forum that phytic acid really isn't that big of a deal if you're eating lots of vegetables, and that green vegetables actually somewhat negate the effects of the acid, if I'm not mistaken.
So what's the verdict, guys? Is enjoying a piece of whole grain bread for breakfast every once in awhile going to kill me?