This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Warm-up

Started by -MR, April 28, 2013 · 13 Replies · 616 Views

-MR

I'm about to move on to my next cycle, and am thinking about how I am going to implement the warm-up.

 

Coach recommends a 21/15/9 or 21/15 or 15/9 approach with previously mastered elements.

 

I was thinking of starting with 9 reps of the last element I just mastered, and then upon mastering the next element, doing 9 reps of the one just mastered preceded by 15 reps of the one previously mastered, and so on and so forth (ie by the next mastered element, I'll be doing 21 reps of the element I was initially only doing for 9 reps etc...) Does this seem like the right approach or is it too simplistic?

 

About the timing of these reps, do you just do them all before starting all of your exercises or do you only warm up with related PEs prior to every specific PE?

 

I may be overthinking things, but just wanted to see if there was an official position on this.

 

M

m6shifter

I was also wondering how my warmup is going to change when I start PE2. I guess I could pick and choose which ones. Probably 2 movements. Good question to ask.

Jon Douglas

Personally i like 15-9, the jump from a 5x5 to 9 is reasonable for of F1, and if Im going up to 21 I feel its too light and too time consuming across 7 exercises. I use 15-9 as well as minute sets of abh and hollow before my work sets, and regard each f element separately- warmup , work, then onto next element.

MvdB
-MR said:

I was thinking of starting with 9 reps of the last element I just mastered, and then upon mastering the next element, doing 9 reps of the one just mastered preceded by 15 reps of the one previously mastered, and so on and so forth (ie by the next mastered element, I'll be doing 21 reps of the element I was initially only doing for 9 reps etc...) 

This is what I thought as well. I'm at PE1 for every element except HBP and RC. For these two I use a warm-up (directly before doing the PE2) of 9 reps PE1 (plus one set of the PE1>iM). When I move on to PE3, I will do 15 reps PE1 and 9 reps PE2. I plan to do 21 reps PE1, 15 reps PE3, and 9 reps PE5 as warm-up when I reach PE6. Each warm-up set with a set of the appropriate iM, of course.

 

I'll have to think about how to implement static positions as warm-up exercises once I get to that stage.

Jon Douglas
Michaël said:

This is what I thought as well. I'm at PE1 for every element except HBP and RC. For these two I use a warm-up (directly before doing the PE2) of 9 reps PE1 (plus one set of the PE1>iM). When I move on to PE3, I will do 15 reps PE1 and 9 reps PE2. I plan to do 21 reps PE1, 15 reps PE3, and 9 reps PE5 as warm-up when I reach PE6. Each warm-up set with a set of the appropriate iM, of course.

 

I'll have to think about how to implement static positions as warm-up exercises once I get to that stage.

i just do one mastery- length set. Works fine for now
Joshua Slocum
-MR said:

I'm about to move on to my next cycle, and am thinking about how I am going to implement the warm-up.

 

Coach recommends a 21/15/9 or 21/15 or 15/9 approach with previously mastered elements.

 

I was thinking of starting with 9 reps of the last element I just mastered, and then upon mastering the next element, doing 9 reps of the one just mastered preceded by 15 reps of the one previously mastered, and so on and so forth (ie by the next mastered element, I'll be doing 21 reps of the element I was initially only doing for 9 reps etc...) Does this seem like the right approach or is it too simplistic?

 

About the timing of these reps, do you just do them all before starting all of your exercises or do you only warm up with related PEs prior to every specific PE?

 

I may be overthinking things, but just wanted to see if there was an official position on this.

 

M

This is probably fine, but be aware that you're going to want to make some exceptions. For 5x5r elements, doing 15 as part of your warmup will probably be too much for something you mastered only two cycles previously: that's more than half the volume of an entire mastery test! The purpose of the warmup is to get your blood flowing and get your mind in the groove of the exercise. You want to feel invigorated afterwards, not drained. So if you notice you feel tired after your warmup, consider scaling back the difficulty of the movements. 

Devin Decoursey

I started doing a mixture of previously mastered pe elements in my warmup, using the 15/9 or 21/15 rep scheme depending on how difficult I felt the element was. I.e. if I was working on HBP>PE5 I might do 21 PE1 and 15 PE2 for the warmup. But if I were to do say, RC>PE3 my warmup might be 15 PE1 and 9 PE2.

I have recently changed this to just focusing on the first PE for the warmup at the 15/9 rep scheme because I feel that focusing on these early stages provides a good warmup while allowing me to focus on the mechanics of the movement. As I get stronger and feel that there is nothing more to be gained from doing the earliest PE at all, I will move up.

Once I get to a point where it seems prudent to add volume, I may move back to the 21/15 scheme.

I think changing the PE level while moving through the warmup might be beneficial when there is enough of a difference between movements that it is worthwhile to practice them both to maintain the skill portion as well as prep the CNS for the harder PE to be trained. But I might just be talking nonsense.

PLO8

For those of us who are just starting out at the very beginning, i.e. day 1, week 1, on every F1 exercise, what's the recommended warm-up routine?

P5yx

I don't do any warmup for PE1 exercises. Might be the wrong way ...

 

i will start a warmup routine when i reach a pe2 skill.

question:

lets say i've reached HBP/PE3 and RC/PE3. Should i implement a specific warmup before each of these elements or just before the complete training session? so should i e.g. warm up like this:

- HBP/PE1 x 15

- RC/PE1 x 9

--> full session

 

or:

- ...

- HBP/PE1 x 15, HBP/PE2 x 9 --> HBP/PE3

- RC/PE1 x 15, RC/PE2 x 9 --> RC/PE3

- rest of the session

 

Hope you can understand the question...:)

gohei_

I remember Joshua N mention something about that specific warm-up should be done as close as possible to the working sets, just like your second example. That's how I'm planning on doing it once I move beyond PE1.

Jon Douglas

I've started a much more comprehensive warmup sequence based on the information from Joshua N regarding Coach's athlete's prep. Begins with H1 wrist stretches, moves into unweighted mobility drills depending on how I feel, moves through the static positions which includes plank, hollow, ABH, chin hold, and 3-4 more from F2, then onto specific warmup which is maintenance of easier, high-rep elements worked that day, such as hollow rocks/arch rocks, scap shrugs, bench dips, straddle-ups, etc. Some bridge wall walks, some assorted stance drills and SLS IM's, particularly twisting squats and inside squats with some other loosening-up work for legs and hips. Takes about 20-30 minutes, I get loose and warm without working hard. Feels great upon waking, particularly when waking with the dawn and starting the day right.

 

Then onto foundation work for the day, which takes about another 30 minutes. I do 2 warmup movements at 15/9 before my work sets and treat them separately; I did today for eg) 15 PPP / 9 HBP10, 4x4 HBP12, then onto RC work with 2 warmups followed by work sets. Between each element I examine some 150-200ml of my delicious workout drink, which is a mouthful or two and nothing that'll make me sick.

 

I stuck H1 onto the end of that, taking another 10-15 minutes-ish. Felt absolutely great today, worked hard but not out of my ability range at all. Early days yet and I'm open to criticism, but if I'm able to perform consistently in this cycle I believe I'll stay with this schedule. Quick, intense and comprehensive, covers previous elements and feels a bit more relaxed about the whole process.

Keilani Gutierrez

at my level(pe1 on all F1 elements) I'm doing iM's that I need to work on for tight spots. 

 

in my case this is what I do for every warm up, including pre-H1. so on H1 days it'll be: 1. soon to be detailed warm up, 2. H1(on H1 days) 2.5. F1 WOD. 

Warm up
neck circles(left and right)-5 reps
cat cow- 5 reps
(H1 Wrist Stretches) 4x10reps
Xiaopeng forward-3 reps each side
weighted shoulder flexions-5 reps
Prone leg lifts-5 reps(each leg)
weighted reverse shoulder flexion-5 reps

Jefferson Curl-5 reps
Lizard Walk-2 reps (each rep composing of 30ft traveled
Quadriped- 2 reps(each rep composing of 30ft traveled)

 

(currently doing 3 sets of this before my workouts and i feel fantabulous.)

It's actually funny that Ido posted up the stages of evolution used when doing the (help me on this one spanish speakers) "Patron de mesa de evolucion" it loosely translates to "stages or "steps to follow" of evolution on a table" only I've been doing them walking across my living to the kitchen arch way entrance. 

 

these are very good for your nervous system, i've done this with some poorly programmed kids(this one in particular was 6 yrs old) still stuck in their "Aquifero" stage who are too scared to dip their feet in a river where they can't see past their ankle, while I was at a Gong Fu examination camp and once we reached the campsite near the land owners home, it had a swimming pool for the kids. he immediately bantered and stared to cry and be a monster to his mother, who was late to work, to stay for another few hrs while he jumped in the pool. another case was, when doing the patterns for the lizard walk in the table sequence(aha! i think that might be the word) the child kept saying "Mommy, im stuck! I'm stuck! Mom, help me im stuck!" (apparently, she was extremely happy with him during the pregnancy but had trouble during labor because he got stuck in the pelvis for a while) 

 

for some reason, i've been acting a little bit emotional(sorry to whom I've snapped back too, because I've gotten too emotionally involved) and when reading up on the structure of the Lizard Brain(Basal Ganglia, Tectum, Corpus Striatum)  and on the characteristics of a reptile(they either fight aggresively, run away quickly or become paralyzed) 

 

definitely something I want to look more into to better my neurological programming. :)

 

wow. reading back, that was one hell of a tangent. but nonetheless, something i nerded out on and found extremely interesting and wanted to share^_^
 

Bipocni
KeilaniG said:
....reading back, that was one hell of a tangent....

 

o.0

Bipocni

My basic idea for the warmup is to work two previous progressions that need attention, and then the one adjacent to your current strength work.

 

So, for example, incline pushups and planche pushups, then negative dips before dipping work.  This ensures you're still working all the movement types.

 

/2cents