This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Just got F1! Advice needed

Started by MichaelCan, April 28, 2013 · 1 Replies · 160 Views

MichaelCan

Hi everyone,

 

I just bought F1, and I’m very excited to start! A bit of background: my primary sport is rock climbing, and I’m interested in GST as a method to gain better control of my body in space.

 

Right now I’m attempting to gain maximal strength and put on a bit of muscle, so in addition to my regular climbing (twice per week, indoor bouldering) I just started adding in two days per week of weights. On each day I squat, push (bench or overhead), and pull (weighted pull-ups or rows). These are all heavy, 3x5.

 

In addition to the above, I’m planning on implementing the three days per week F1 program, working this into my routine slowly so that I can work on my weaknesses and not get injured. Is all this volume feasible? Do you have any tips on integrating a bit of weighted work (or climbing) with early-stage GST? (I have searched this subject on the forum quite a bit).

 

Also, I’ll be travelling for a month at the end of the summer, and will have no equipment, so I’m also looking to GST as a way to train on the road.

 

Thanks! Any tips on the above would be great.

 

 

Ravn

Hi,

I'd say that if you're looking to controlling your body in space, and becoming a better rock cklimber, I'd stick with climbing and F1. There's nothing wrong with getting big (I think many people on this forum also aspire to that end), but for the goals you have, I don't see how squatting heavy is going to help with that specifically. The squat progressions in F1 should suffice. Your legs probably got most of the strength they need for your goal, but if you are anything like the rest of us, you'd be a better mover, once you're done with the leg mobility work of F1.

You can do F1 five days a week, climb the remaining two, and once the volume ramps up six or eight weeks in, you probably won't want to do much else.

Bon voyage :)