This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Where to go after Open Knee Tuck PL?

Started by Mats Trane, April 26, 2013 · 5 Replies · 49 Views

Mats Trane

So I´ve been working on Open Knee Tuck Planch after the Helsinki Seminar. It has now become pretty solid. A month ago I could do 5x20 sec (on pushup bars).

 

I´ve tried to straddle (fully) out a couple of times and I can hold it for about 3 seconds (not with perfect form).

 

What are your experiences/recommendations to go after Open Knee Tuck Pl?

Maybe just partially straddle out and get some volume?

Daniel Burnham

Single leg straddle is the next progression. Also holding that 3 second straddle a few times a week will really help move you on.

Alessandro Mainente

as daniel said one leg straddle version, then you can move over half straddle and then straddle. these intermediate version works well if you cannot actively open the legs in the straddle version.

at the point where you can hold the straddle for 2-3 seconds you can combine it with planche push up.

i'm actually maintaining the str planche on pbars and working over the floor version that seems to be hard for me. consider that of floor now i am at 5x30s of tuck pl...on the pbars is more more easy.

 

Morandi suggested to me to add some leg swing after the warm up to increase the hips flexors strenght and make the split hold easier in the straddle version. he said to use:

-10 lateral swing with extra rotated leg without move the torso, followed by 10 little swing at your max legs height , then 5 sec of isometrich hold...cramps cramps cramps and cramps

-same thing on the front and on the back.

 

 

i started to add them only yesterday..

i'm anxious to see how they work!

Mats Trane

Thanks guys! I'll try your tips.

Alex, do you think your PL pushups helped alot?

For me it's also easier to do the sPL on paralettes or pushup bars than on the floor.

Daniel Burnham

Yes planches are easier of the bars but still pretty similar to floor.  I find that working bars early on may help build what you need for the floor.  Try to make floor the first priority though.

 

I have done straddle planche pushups too and feel that they are good for learning how to really lock out the top position for the rest.  This helps a good deal.  

 

As for the leg swings.  Are these similar to the reverse leg lift drill coach put in the mobility?  I find that swinging up to a momentary straddle planche on the side of the pommel horse (long side with hands on both pommels) helps me find the lean and lower back strength to get my body straight.

 

For the record I am still fairly new to straddle planche.  I am currently working 4sets of 4 seconds now on floor.

Alessandro Mainente

of course is easier...remember that you are doing RC since a long time so your grip in pbars is the same grip involved on rope climbing.

also for me pbars is easier because the counter lever of the wrist on the floor depends a lot by the fingers position. if they are facing forward the counter lever is bigger but you need more flexibility on the wrist. as the wrists turn out the leverage decreases a lot..

 

yes definitely, i'm returned to them after a period off due to shoulders problem..and the str planche is better the before, sure i'm not increasing the duration of the holds but the effort i need to put to hold 5 seconds is less and less...

 

you can do the swing from a standing position. actually i'm using a classical dance bar...usually the girls use it to learn the artistic movements. you grab it so you are sure that the body is vertical  and not inclined on the side..