This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What is "mastery" for ABH?

Started by mm356, April 26, 2013 · 9 Replies · 486 Views

mm356

I read through most of the other long thread about this, but never came away with a clear cut "official" recommendation...

 

If I can confidently say I can do 5x60 sec of ABH "with no legs, waist, chest, or arms touching the ground" (i.e. only the belly on the ground), even if I am not able to sustain the full ROM shown in the video for 5x60, is this sufficient enough to move on, or is it recommended to keep repeating cycles until the full ROM is achieved for the full time?

 

Just looking for a little clarification, as I was always thinking I was sufficient until I read that other thread about the ROM.  

 

EDIT: I should also add that when using the "belly only" definition above, it is meant with the intention that one is truly trying to always achieve the best ROM possible and not just trying to do the "minimal" amount just to "qualify", if that makes any difference. 

FredInChina

Try the ABR  - if you can rock smoothly, move on; if not, keep at it. :)

mm356

Thanks Fred - that's pretty much what I was planning on doing.  All the talk of matching the video ROM just made me wonder if I was that wasn't recommended.  While the video ROM is definitely admirable, I just didn't know if it was a necessity in order to keep making progress on the later steps.

Badi

Yeah I think this wouldnt even make any sense since it would take ages to go from pe2 to pe3 on mana progression. A "normal" person will take forever to reach the shown ROM

Adriano Augusto

Yeah, I think Coach it's right;  there is lack of motivation; at least some people!

 

Mastery is Mastery. I'm trying in each PE to COPY the exact ROM of the athlete, because Coach it have done like that, if not, he had specified that we could pass the PE with less ROM. We're training like gymnasts, with all the strictness.

 

At least this is what I think on the subject before I've read the entire forum since I bought F1. 

 

We've to adquire the proper ROM in order to follow the PE's, because on later PE's that lack of "ROM" will catch up to us.

 

Besides, our work it's not finish when we've done any F1 workout... stretching, extra mobility of iM's already mastered, etc etc. Do just F1 it's not all we can do in order to keep going. 

 

Keep it in mind.

mm356
Adriano Flo said:

Yeah, I think Coach it's right;  there is lack of motivation; at least some people!

 

Mastery is Mastery. I'm trying in each PE to COPY the exact ROM of the athlete, because Coach it have done like that, if not, he had specified that we could pass the PE with less ROM. We're training like gymnasts, with all the strictness.

 

At least this is what I think on the subject before I've read the entire forum since I bought F1. 

 

We've to adquire the proper ROM in order to follow the PE's, because on later PE's that lack of "ROM" will catch up to us.

 

Besides, our work it's not finish when we've done any F1 workout... stretching, extra mobility of iM's already mastered, etc etc. Do just F1 it's not all we can do in order to keep going. 

 

Keep it in mind.

 

 

We actually agree here.  Mastery IS mastery... and thus the question of what exactly constitutes "mastery" was asked.  While the athlete shows great ROM for a few seconds in a video, it's fair to wonder if that ROM is required to be maintained for a full 300 seconds.  If that is what Coach intended and demands for the best overall results down the line, then I have no motivational problems hanging around and getting it.  I just wanted to hear it officially.

 

But 5x60, even with a lesser ROM than the video, is no small feat in itself.  And if that demonstrates a sufficient foundation of strength and mobility for the future progressions, then I'd personally prefer to move on rather than trying to perfect the ABH since that isn't the ultimate goal.

 

Similar questions were asked about the H1 iM1 and iM2 elements, and clarification was given.  I'm just looking for the same here, that's all.  This is just a unique exercise in which one's ROM can always improve if you keep working on it.

 

But I'm definitely on board with the programs and am not interested in skipping or skimping steps.  This is probably the first time in my life I've actually done something for 3 straight months and still considered it "just the beginning"!  :D

FredInChina
Adriano Flo said:

(...) Mastery is Mastery. I'm trying in each PE to COPY the exact ROM of the athlete, because Coach it have done like that, if not, he had specified that we could pass the PE with less ROM. We're training like gymnasts, with all the strictness.

 

At least this is what I think on the subject before I've read the entire forum since I bought F1. 

 

We've to adquire the proper ROM in order to follow the PE's, because on later PE's that lack of "ROM" will catch up to us.

 

Besides, our work it's not finish when we've done any F1 workout... stretching, extra mobility of iM's already mastered, etc etc. Do just F1 it's not all we can do in order to keep going. 

 

Keep it in mind.

Yes, mastery is mastery, so maybe you are correct Adriano Flo... :)

 

Yet, I think that if your ROM is close enough to the model, and sufficient to allow for smooth ABR, the few degrees you might still miss are not such a big deal, especially that there are many, many other exercises (and ABR is one of them) that target this ROM and the strength of the muscles involved; all being opportunities to keep improving on this element.

 

If I am wrong, I will stand corrected, or I will hit the wall at a later stage; we'll see :)

 

Remember the cue "ass to the back of the head"? Here is the first progression of F2... :blink::D

477253186a1670751333b676873718l.jpg

-MR
FredInChina said:

Yes, mastery is mastery, so maybe you are correct Adriano Flo... :)

 

Yet, I think that if your ROM is close enough to the model, and sufficient to allow for smooth ABR, the few degrees you might still miss are not such a big deal, especially that there are many, many other exercises (and ABR is one of them) that target this ROM and the strength of the muscles involved; all being opportunities to keep improving on this element.

 

If I am wrong, I will stand corrected, or I will hit the wall at a later stage; we'll see :)

 

Remember the cue "ass to the back of the head"? Here is the first progression of F2... :blink::D

477253186a1670751333b676873718l.jpg

Shit, back to the drawing board... 128 more homemade PEs coming up; I'll keep you guys posted.

mm356
-MR said:

Shit, back to the drawing board... 128 more homemade PEs coming up; I'll keep you guys posted.

I shudder at the thought of the Arch Body Rocks that follow....

Michael Taylor

If ever there was a picture crying out for a (Foundation related) caption competition.....  :o