Started Foundation One training 8 and a half weeks ago. Prior to training I have had sharp pain in knees while under duress. For example squating, jumping, climbing stairs ect. This pain persists. I also pulled my left hip flexor two years ago and have noticed it to be weaker than my right. In addition my left knee hurts significantly more than my right knee. Lastly, I can hear and feel a grinding sensation deep in my hip when I do SL/PE>iM for example. Curious what exactly I should do.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Knee Pain and Hip Grinding
Started by Ross DeCamp, April 25, 2013 · 5 Replies · 243 Views
- Have you ever been checked out by a doctor to ensure that we are not dealing with a structural problem?
- If you have been given the green light, then my recommendation is to greatly reduce both your ROM and your intensity. It tooks years for your body to reach its present condition and it will take some time to repair it.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
It sounds like you need a detailed examination by a good sports medicine doctor, sports osteopath, or orthopedic specialist. Grinding in a joint is NOT what you want to hear, or feel, and you need to have that examined ASAP.
Have been to an orthopedic specialist and made the mistake of having him only examine my knees. After x ray he speculated platellar tendonitis and that I should just push through the pain. After several months of doing so it hurts to even walk. I have an appointment May 2nd for re-examination.
My question is that of continuing my training until then. Should I stop completely, less ROM and intensity ect. And then determine exactly what to do prior to the examination.
1) If there is grinding in the hip, you should not do anything that makes that happen. There is the possibility of real cartilage or labral damage, and the last thing you should do is encourage such a thing to progress!
2) If he suggested to push through the pain instead of referring you to a physical therapist, you need to ask for a referral yourself. I don't know what experiences he has had, but whether he is ignorant or jaded doesn't really matter to me... what matters to me is that you find decent treatment. That may take some time, but a good sign is when they perform tissue manipulation (similar to massage) and teach you how to move, instead of hooking you up to machines right off the bat. Those machines can be useful after all the exercises are done, but they should not be the primary mode of treatment for most injuries, and certainly not yours.
.