Progressing to Manna

Started by jpow, April 25, 2013 · 4 Replies · 2,343 Views

jpow

Hey all, I've been lurking around on here for a while before finally making an account today! I'm trying to get help on a Manna.  I've been competing a V-Sit on floor for the past four years and think I am ready to start working on it.  I have two pictures here, one of my V-Sit, and one of my Manna attempt.  I've been able to do a 30 second L-sit, and I have been working on a middle split hold and find that pretty easy to hold for a bit as well.  I seem to get stuck about 45 from horizontal.  My shoulders are flexible (I do jams, carballos, and other shoulder flexibility skills on other events since I have good shoulder flexibility) and my pike is pretty good too I think lol.  Do I need to just continue working on the Manna like I do right now and eventually I'll get it, or is there something I'm missing.

 

Thank you!

post-6278-0-20451100-1366856011_thumb.jp

FredInChina

Sorry I am unable and unqualified to help you Jpow, but these are outstanding results of your training, way to go! :)

Your arms seem bent a little.

Andreas

Try turning your hands completely backwards and to completely lock your elbows. That will make it easier (at least it makes it easier for me).

 

Apart from that, keep working on that second position. Push into it, hold it, lower slowly, etc. You will see that your position will get better pretty fast if you work it regularly. A wider straddle might make it easier at first to get your butt up which should be your focus.

Joshua Naterman

You don't have the retraction or long head of triceps strength that you need. Straightening the arms and keeping the scapulae retracted before and during the press up into Manna will help.

 

At first, this might feel impossible. With time, that will change.

 

The Foundation program walks you through all the steps to developing this.

Joshua Slocum
Joshua Naterman said:

You don't have the retraction or long head of triceps strength that you need. Straightening the arms and keeping the scapulae retracted before and during the press up into Manna will help.

 

At first, this might feel impossible. With time, that will change.

 

The Foundation program walks you through all the steps to developing this.

Given his pike, the OP is likely far beyond the Manna work in Foundation 1. And the later parts of the Foundation series are not yet available. So that's not really an available resource. 

 

My advice would be to work on developing a solid middle split hold, with hands facing back and scapula retracted. Then work on trying to press the hips forward.