This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

iM - varying weights?

Started by Michael Taylor, April 24, 2013 · 4 Replies · 171 Views

Michael Taylor

On those mobility moves which use external weights (which for me are Xiaopengs, windmills, Jefferson Curls and the first two H1 iMs), I find myself varying the weights that I use on occasion

This could be due to what I have to hand ( I sometimes train at different locations ), or just how I feel that day

My thoughts are that these are MOBILITY exercises foremost with a strength aspect integrated, so the movement and not the weight per se is the main part.

I have found that differing loads within my capacity make the movements feel slightly different - sometimes I feel stronger and sometimes To achieve the ROM I require slightly less weight

What do other people think?

Varying loads, constant loads or progressively increasing loads?

FredInChina

Improvise, Adapt, overcome... Priority numero uno: getting the job done! :)

Michael Taylor

Fred, your posts never cease to bring a smile to my face 😄

Even your avatar has this effect 😊😊😊

Joshua Slocum
Michael Taylor said:

My thoughts are that these are MOBILITY exercises foremost with a strength aspect integrated, so the movement and not the weight per se is the main part.

 

 

This is precisely the case. You're going to want some amount of weight so that you feel resistance. But they're not supposed to be strenuous exercises, so there's no need to maximize the weight you use. 

Keilani Gutierrez

just last night I did MN/PE1>iM for the first time with 20lb. I've done it with 10lbs before and it felt fabulous and once the shoulder clicking died down, i tried it with a little more weight to see how it'd feel and today i woke up with -ever so slightly- a bit of soreness that i know will be gone by the time i come back from my workday and workout. 

 

I'm performing H1 iM with 10 lbs and won't bump that up for a while until I master HSiM 1-2. move on and then start building up HS>iM with more weight as time goes on. 

 

I also perform Jefferson curls now that I bought an olympic bar. that weighs 45lb. 

 

that being said, there's been a few forum posts that Coach has done that emphasizes starting with 3-5lb on the H1 mobility, do not aim for heavy weight in mindmills, work upto doing 35lbs is an okay goal, no more than 25lbs on Xiaopengs, 45-95lbs for a loaded hamstring stretch and with the H1 mobility, you want to start with a conservative weight(3-5lb) and work upto doing dislocates with 45lbs. but that's veeeerrrry down the road, so start slow and keep building the weight progressively. i tried holding my olympic bar overhead in a handstand line and was like "whoa, what an interesting feeling!" it felt good structurally but i can tell that if i went for a dislocate with form, bad things would happen.