DIY Rings Kinda Beautiful if You Ask Me.
Started by vnewgard, April 24, 2013 · 6 Replies · 3,605 Views
Did you make those? They're pretty nice.
Did you cut the rings out of plywood with a jigsaw and sand them?
How strong do they feel?
I'm going to hang some rings from a tree outside and I prefer the wood to the plastic, but I don't want to have to spend $50 each time.
If each ring is made out of one single piece of wood, it can break very easily. Rings are supposed to be made with various layers of wood with the adjacent layer fibers perpendicular to each other. Can't see from here. Just for safety. ![]()
bigB said:Did you cut the rings out of plywood with a jigsaw and sand them?
How strong do they feel?
I'm going to hang some rings from a tree outside and I prefer the wood to the plastic, but I don't want to have to spend $50 each time.
3 layers of birch plywood. Jigsaw, grind, wood filler for the gaps, sand, wood seal. They are solid and won't break during use. If you dropped them at the right height or angle on some concrete they might crack.
I'm thinking I sealing the rings I have might help extend their life.
What did you use to seal yours?
I was thinking Tung Oil, but there might be something better.
Needs:
- water resistant
- UV protection - in my case the tree should provide a good deal of protection.
- breathability? - What I like about the wood rings is that they don't get slick when the hands get sweaty. I like the rings to retain that quality.
bigB said:I'm thinking I sealing the rings I have might help extend their life.
What did you use to seal yours?
I was thinking Tung Oil, but there might be something better.
Needs:
- water resistant
- UV protection - in my case the tree should provide a good deal of protection.
- breathability? - What I like about the wood rings is that they don't get slick when the hands get sweaty. I like the rings to retain that quality.
These rings were Spar Varnashed. Tung oil seems like it would work pretty well if not exposed to too much sun so the tree should prevent that. I never used it before though. I use my rings indoors. I usually only need to chalk my hands once before the first set and Im good for the next couple of hours. Not usually the case with the polycarbonate rings I have used in the past. Some people like to tape their rings as well which would protect the rings and offer some friction to your hands. I like the feel of the wood by itself though.