Is it possible to do a stride pullover and what is it called?

Started by GleepGlop, April 24, 2013 · 6 Replies · 2,143 Views

GleepGlop

Like a stride circle but starting from under the bar and going up to support.

 

I'm experimenting to find the easiest way to get up to support on a bar from deadhang for a beginner. I can't do a regular pullover, muscle up, glide kip, uprise, etc.

 

This stride pullover thing I was experimenting with today seems doable for me so I was hoping it was an actual move that I could read up on how to execute.

Coach Sommer

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news; however without being able to do any of the other skills that you listed, it is highly doubtful that you possess either the agility or the strength to succeed wtih this skill.

 

My recommendation is to slow down and do things right.  There are no short cuts.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Slocum
GleepGlop said:

Like a stride circle but starting from under the bar and going up to support.

 

I'm experimenting to find the easiest way to get up to support on a bar from deadhang for a beginner. I can't do a regular pullover, muscle up, glide kip, uprise, etc.

 

This stride pullover thing I was experimenting with today seems doable for me so I was hoping it was an actual move that I could read up on how to execute.

 

Echoing Coach: if you lack the strength to do even a simple pullover, you would make the most progress by taking a step back and build up your basic strength. 

GleepGlop

I'm still working on the other skills, I just like experimenting with new techniques. I'm not trying to take a shortcut, I'm just trying to learn about a skill that I'm not sure exists.

 

So it does exist and it's called a stride pullover then?

Joshua Slocum

I've not heard of it before. It probably can't be done without a swing. I don't think you could get your center of mass above and behind the bar if your legs are straddled and the bar can't move past your groin. 

Blairbob

 I guess you could try to do a knee uprise. 

 

 http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/coach-forum/36293-single-leg-basket-swing.html#post187801

 We teach these on low bars and never on high (though some kids are nutty and like to do them on a high bar).

If you peel from a bar high enough that you would normally dead hang it could be really bad. Darwin award.

If you are on a low bar, get a pad for the bottom of your knee because they hurt a bit, especially when you are bigger.

Thing is, at the end of the day, this skill will not allow you to develop basic strength which working on pullovers would. Way more carryover to daily life and functionality (basic pull and core strength).

 

 For beginners we usually use a low bar and spot them or have them walk their feet up against a block/wedge.

 

FutureisNow

I also at first had difficulty with the low-bar pullover, but it was a coordination timing thing for me mostly. Took dozens of attempts then finally got it. Keeping one foot in front of the bar's imaginary line and stepping in and up while pulling toward the chest/neck helped.

 

What I found easier though was doing it on a high bar as I could go to inverted position and pull myself up high enough so that my legs just flopped back over the bar. That led to easily getting to support position. It wasn't pretty but it did work.

 

But if you have lack the neccessary pulling strength then both are non-starters.