This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

iM question for the more Adv. Beginner forum members

Started by Keilani Gutierrez, April 24, 2013 · 10 Replies · 395 Views

Keilani Gutierrez

Hey guys! 

 

I was on my comp formulating a Warm up for the days F1 work and H1 work and I devised a warm up based on that days iM for 2 sets. 

 

my question for the adv beginner forum members like Zach, Hari & Charm(and whomever is in this category) 

 

since you guys have shown mastery on F1 elements, how have you guys implemented working through the prescribed iM to reap the benefits that the iM's bestow?

 

I noticed how Josh mentioned that we would benefit from re-visiting certain elements from time to time and that is understandable, but when I thought of the mobility aspect, it opened up a whole new question.

 

what is your experience with this? 

Keilani Gutierrez

it does, you actually essentially half answered my original question and also half answered my follow up questions hahahaha

 

in more detail though, do you for example have a day or a moment after your workout where you'll do a a giant set of some of the iM's you've already mastered to keep the gains? 

 

I guess my question is more along the lines of "if you've mastered an iM for an earlier PE, do you keep doing it to do maintenance or do iM's build upon each other much the PE's build upon each other to create more mobility as the iM's progress?"

Joshua Slocum

I do a reasonable amount of iM work at the office during the day; whenever I go to the bathroom I'll do two iM's.

 

When I'm doing skill work, I'll do iM elements in between sets instead of taking a break. Skill work actually occupies the majority of my exercise time, so that ends up being quite a bit of iM work. 

 

I frequently add iM's into my daily warmup, too; they're good for warming up and loosening the joints. 

 

I definitely revisit 'mastered' mobility elements with some frequency. Some mobility elements build on previous ones, but others are more tangential. For example, the shoulder-stability element of Windmills is not built on by the later MN/iM movements, so I make sure to do those every once in a while. The elements I choose to revisit are based largely on whether it's an area that feels tight/that I regress quickly in (German arm swings, for example), or if it feels like a fundamentally useful movement (Xiaopengs, Windmills). 

 

 

That said, going giant sets of previously mastered mobility elements after your F1 work sounds like a great idea if you're looking for a good way to incorporate them. You could also perform the paired mobility element for a given skill when you're warming it up (e.g. if you do 15 pushups for warmup, do a set of Xaiopengs forward). 

Jon Douglas

For anyone new's reference, I'm not in the same category as these guysfor GST ^^ and by definition not an advanced beginner (still waiting on my F7 hat) but I'll weigh in on this.

 

 

 

Three factors go into the mobility work I'll do in a given session, alongside the pairs of the PE's in my warmup;

 

Like Zach said, there are sticking points and some mobility exercises that are more useful to you in particular. For those who do them, doing forms is a good general warmup and helps identify what might be a bit tight that session.

 

There are also a bunch of exercises which have been identified as of particular value keeping in your warmup; inside squats, hinge rows, Xiaopengs come to mind readily. It might be worthwhile having someone collate a list of the especially useful ones; I do Xiaopengs 5 reps forward and back after my warmup PPPu's.

 

The third overlaps this; the 'particularly useful' ones tend to be those which can't really be progressed, like the ones I mentioned. Bridges? Sure, you can upgrade shoulder bridge holds to reps, to... etc, but progressing inside squats? H1IM6? You can add weight, but after a certain (not huge) point that defeats the purpose. So relatively 'novel' movements are included, simply because they are in angles and planes I don't always work.

 

Other than that, I don't fuss much; there's a bunch of tools there, so if I'm feeling tight at some point I'll do a few reps of whatever's appropriate. I would say an important factor is to definitely focus on the things you don't like to do (assuming that nothing pathological is causing discomfort).

 

 

Edit; I guess I've basically restated a lot of what Hari_Seldon said without the gymnastics skill work aspect :) nice to see.

My position is coming from excessive flexibility plus deficient mobility, so I'm likely to run into slightly different problems than inflexible trainees. My needs are somewhat different from someone trying to correct excessive tightness or severely limited ROM, or injury issues.

Nic Branson

Good examples above. It really comes down to individual needs. We all have different mobility issues and those will even change over time. Learn to know yours and your body.

Coach Sommer
Charm said:

... There are also a bunch of exercises which have been identified as of particular value keeping in your warmup ... It might be worthwhile having someone collate a list of the especially useful ones ... 

 

Are you implying that not all of my iMs are of "particular value"?!?   :huh:

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Keilani Gutierrez
Coach Sommer said:

Are you implying that not all of my iMs are of "particular value"?!?   :huh:

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

hardly. I just want to know how I can make a list of iM's pertaining to that days work to incorporate into a warm up so that the mobility gains stay with me instead of slowly creap away. 

 

I ask this because the moment we start getting into the PE 4-5 range, there will be a lot of iM's that should have been mastered by then and my doubt, stems from me not knowing if certain iM's stack on top of each other the same the PE's do or if they should be treated as seperate elements that must be performed regardless of mastery. 

 

not like the H1 mobility, for example, which is a progressive stacking of certain elements that can be substituted with more challenging iM's. (if i am mistaken, i would like to be pointed in the right direction because this feeling of spatial awareness and comfort of movement is something i wouldn't like to let go to waste) 

Jon Douglas
Coach Sommer said:

Are you implying that not all of my iMs are of "particular value"?!?   :huh:

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Nay indeed.

 

In a field of A's, there have to be some A+'s, Coach ^_^

Coach Sommer

I know.  I just like messing with you guys.   :icon_twisted:

 

You guys are more fun to tease than my senior athletes.  After all these years they are fairly wise to my wicked ways and rarely fall for it anymore.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jon Douglas
Coach Sommer said:

I know.  I just like messing with you guys.   :icon_twisted:

 

You guys are more fun to tease than my senior athletes.  After all these years they are fairly wise to my wicked ways and rarely fall for it anymore.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

While we depend on your good graces for F2-4, I think generally we'll err on the side of not pissing you off ^_^

Nic Branson

Sorry Coach we still have some failing at German Arm Swings....