This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

PPP, Planche lean, and protaction

Started by Jason Dupree, April 23, 2013 · 10 Replies · 472 Views

Jason Dupree

Is it necessary at the top of a PPP to completely protact the scapula and therefore end up in plain old planche lean at the top? I have seen some PPPs and it seemed like the protaction was less strict...

 

The reason I ask is because I can bang out HBP/PE2 just fine, and I have the strength to do HBP/PE3 several weeks in. The problem i noticed though, is that in my sPL elements, i realized my protraction was just not good enough. I was focusing on keeping myself up and not the protraction. I got to the planche leans and realized i needed to go back through everything with this in mind. I tested out of sPL/PE1 fine, with the PE2 coming tomorrow.

Now, i know that i do not yet have the strength to complete sPL/PE5, which it seems would be required for PPP.  sooo....

 

Should I continue doing PPP with questionable scapular protraction, or should i insert an exercise such as dive bombers working up to 5x10 between push ups and PPPs while I wait for the proper protraction strength? (I feel like dive bombers are perfectly between difficulty of pushups and PPP for me.)

 

IS protraction important in a HBP? also... what exactly is a HBP...?

 

Thanks for any help!

Jason Dupree

Thanks! I thought that would be the case. I don't mind going back and giving my scaps some love!

Keilani Gutierrez
JasonDupree said:

Thanks! I thought that would be the case. I don't mind going back and giving my scaps some love!

imagine the love your lady is gonna feel when you help her into the car with a Hollowback Press after you Planche walked her through the mall! 

laserator
Zach Armijo said:

You should really scale back until your protraction is up to par. The top portion of the PPP is a PL lean,....

I'm starting to learn the PL lean.

Is it normal to feel a short, sharp pain in front shoulders, immediately after releasing?

Cannister

Here is a video of a hollow back press:

Mats Trane
laserator said:

I'm starting to learn the PL lean.

Is it normal to feel a short, sharp pain in front shoulders, immediately after releasing?

Try to release slowly and with control. I hade the same doing tuck pl on pralettes. If I released my grip fast i got a short sharp pain in my under arm. Realisng slowly and with control made it disappear. And also as Zack said warm up properly.

Jason Dupree

Speaking of lean in a planche lean, is the full lean something that will come gradually in the 12 week cycle or do you not move on from week 1 until you can hold it in full lean? Just checking - im assuming the answer is the second

Joshua Slocum
JasonDupree said:

Speaking of lean in a planche lean, is the full lean something that will come gradually in the 12 week cycle or do you not move on from week 1 until you can hold it in full lean? Just checking - im assuming the answer is the second

 

I would cycle weeks 1-4 until you've achieved adequate lean. Or you could do weeks 1-12 and then go back through again with proper lean. It's unlikely that you'll be able to ramp up both the duration and the difficulty. 

 

Are you sure you can't achieve proper lean? Have you taken a video of yourself? It much just be that you're overestimating how far you need to lean. 

Jason Dupree

Maybe, i keep hearing my hands should be under my hips. I will definitely take a video when i get to that point though. I did PE2 today, and with the protraction correct i completed the mastery, but it did not feel completely mastered. i was shaking a bit at the end. so i guess i will focus on the PEs before i worry about lean.

Adriano Augusto

Another particular Nemesis; planche leans.

 

4 tries; not concrete scheme.

 

 

Seriously, I'm stuck on this for weeks. My wrists get of the floor as you notice, but if I don't do it that way I don't get that amount of lean and protraction, and even that, I think that is poor!

Joshua Naterman

You may want to stick your middle finger directly out to the side, like making a straight line between the two, instead of only being partially rotated out. This will be more difficult, because you don't get the cantilever effect from the fingers as much, but you will be able to keep your wrist on the ground, This will also carry over to PB and rings a bit more because of the more similar arm position.

 

It will be important to actively grip the ground, a lazy hand can lead to wrist problems.