This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Unexpected carryover of F1 mobility work

Started by Joshua Naterman, April 23, 2013 · 21 Replies · 1,240 Views

Joshua Naterman

Since reading Alex87's shared experience with recent unexpected improvements from F1 elements that he used to thing were "easy and stupid" on the mobility forum, I thought to myself... "Hey, we should really keep track of these things. What a great resource this would be for people buying Foundation courses down the road, so that they can buy into these seemingly unnecessary movements and reap the benefits themselves!"

 

So, I would like this thread to remain free of questions and side discussions, and stay 100% focused on the benefits, whether it is pain reduction, increased ROM in unexpected ways, or whatever you experience.

 

Please limit specific mention of movements by name, or description, to F1 work only! If you want to mention something from H1 as well, just say H1 iM 1 or something.

 

Without further ado, here's Alex87's opening post:

 

During the last month i've suffered of a impingement of my left shoulder (it's healing very well) so i didn't all type of complete over head movement.

in that situation my handstand mobility was reduced only on the first elements covered in H1 and in that period i've increased the time over the IM exercise for the front lever..

 

what's happened surprised me. i was shocked of how  some simple simple exercise can manipulate the body parts to make my physique flexible and functional..

my bridge improved ( i shift the chest of about 5 cm) without doing specific bridge work (due to impingement) but only F1 elements..

 

post-1151-0-55867800-1366664089_thumb.pn

 

i don't really know how much far can i go with foundation...and i have to say that the exercises that i was considering "stupid and simple" are those who helped me more then other!   :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

 

Joshua Naterman

My experiences so far:

 

I am also seeing benefits from this stuff... we did a prone shoulder flexion ROM test today, and for the first time in my life I could get my hands off the ground without arching my back! Some of this is from H1 mobility work, but a lot of the lat stretches have been steadily increasing overall shoulder ROM.

 

My right shoulder, which has given me problems for a long time, is moving a lot better as well, and I'm back to comfortable dead hangs with nearly fully open shoulders.

Jon Douglas

A dramatic improvement particularly in hip mobility, where my passive flexibility was excessively greater than active; the result is unlocking much more of my passive flexibility. This means a better oversplit, comfortable achievement of full lotus (hip rotation), better and more controlled kicks, and (slightly) less cramps in extended low horse stance.

 

Hard to know where to start with H1 improvements; my traps have simultaneously inflated and apparently greased themselves up, and show no signs of stopping growth and/or mobility improvements.

 

More than that though, I now have a toolbox of mobility drills to go to when I've been sitting , working, travelling or doing something repetitive for a while, and know where to go to to fix that kind of tightness. Once you get that 'liquid steel™' feeling, you don't want to lose it.

Keilani Gutierrez

F1 iM work related: everything from how my body feels from my hip down has improved though I do have to work more on Hip flexor stretches, than anything. that's on me though and I took the liberty of taking a few FL iM movements and sPL iM's and included them in my cooldown from F1 work. I'll be doing a mycrocycle of that and will post updates on that, since it's my most interested area of improvement. 

 

everything wrist, elbow, shoulder related from using H1 and F1 mobility drills has been spectacular. my shoulder is the healthiest it's -ever- been in my life with better extension, flexion, pec mobility, lat mobility and scapular mobility. i'm extremely happy about this because i used to get nasty spasms on my neck while i was out and about and sometimes even when i was asleep and moving in the middle of the night in my bed.

 

when I used to perform Squats, i used to get some clicking sound in my knees whenever i went down and went up and now that sound is all gone. 

edit: something I just noticed today while getting up from the floor is that I don't need to "pistol" myself off the ground anymore, there is enough active flexibility to scoot a foot under my butt while my other leg is extended forward and i can "enter" a paleo seat from this position and then squat to stand up. talk about righteous. 

Jon Douglas
KeilaniG said:

when I used to perform Squats, i used to get some clicking sound in my knees whenever i went down and went up and now that sound is all gone. 

Oh yes, H1 wrist work has also eliminated occasional clicks and pops in my wrists, even though I'm still hitting the bags daily.

Keilani Gutierrez
Charm said:

Oh yes, H1 wrist work has also eliminated occasional clicks and pops in my wrists, even though I'm still hitting the bags daily.

clicking from my left knuckles and wrist is almost gone. need to work on the right. (nose manual bails on my bike)

Joshua Slocum

Inside squats+hip swivels have more or less cured the intermittent knee pain I used to get in my right knee. 

Samui

I went from able to do 1-2 wrist push up(fresh) to 10+ wrist push-ups anytime of the day   B)(this is H1 though)

 

Also significant improvements in hips, shoulders and lower back mobility(my lower back no longer feels like exploding with back bridges).

Flameous

Hip circles have opened my lower back, though I'm lacking strength to stabilize it so it aches a bit when I have been immobile for long.

 

All the wrist work from HS1 has helped tremendously. Now I think planche with fingers forward is actually a possibility.

Just started cossack squats but I already feel them strengthening my ankle dorsiflexion rom.

Swivel hips mainly just feel fantastic.

 

And I know there's lot more coming.  :)

Mark Collins

I have less lumbar lordosis in unloaded and loaded positions. I have noticed I can carry more with less back pain. I also feel stronger with the clean and in particular the jerk. I can overhead squat more easily. My shoulder mobility is the best it has been since childhood. Wrists are even more mobile.

I am also excited about how I can incorporate some of the mobility exercises with my patients.

Jonathan Cathcart

I've only just started F1 today, but I've been doing H1 for a couple of weeks now. The largest improvement for me has been wrist mobility/flexibility. Even after a single session of the wrist exercises in H1 I DRAMATICALLY improved the range of motion in my wrists and indeed the difference between my range of motion before and after performing the wrist exercises on any given day is huge. My wrists were something that really limited my handstand work before and the thought of ever doing a planche on the floor was not even something I had considered due to lack of flexibility and discomfort, but I could definitely see it happening some day now.

Niko

My guitar playing has improved from H1 wrist and finger excercises :D. Maybe I should have expected  it, but  it didn´t cross my mind.

m6shifter

niko thats funny because my guitar playing has improved with better endurance and thats just with F1. No more left shoulder aches now. And very little elbow strain... May need HS1 now..

spinelli

Decreased shoulder pain, improved mobility all around really. No more back pain from standing for excessive amounts of time. Guitar playing has also improved a lot, mostly stability of the wrist in the picking hand, super fast riffs are now no longer a chore  B-)

Keilani Gutierrez

Spinelli and the Pick of Destiny :P

Murray Truelove

My piano pedaling has gotten better from the extra ankle ROM. Never expected that.

Ravn

Never mind the guitar picking. My nose picking has improved tremendously, and my hand-eye coordination is now so refined that I no longer accidentally poke my eye when aiming for the nostrils. Due to improved lower arm rotation, my index finger has become a veritable booger drill. The time saved excavating stubborn boogers is easily worth the price of F1.

Keilani Gutierrez

#applause

gohei_
KeilaniG said:

Spinelli and the Pick of Destiny :P

He's gonna make people explode due to his awesome guitar skills!!

MattProulx

So far this being my 4th week done. I have barely any clicks left or popping noises, no more inflammation of the left shoulder from swinging a hammer all day, I credit HBPiM2/3 and HSiM1 for this. I can lift my arms way higher and have a lot more power in my swings, my lower back feels awesome, I spend a good portion of my time bent forward at work also and ABH seems to have alleviated the tension I had in my lower back for sometime. Definitely can feel changes in my everyday life from doing the mobility. 

Keilani Gutierrez

just got done spinning poi and I just noticed that behind the back weaves are surprisingly easy....that was a real surprise >_>

fitwell

Literally everything has improved to some degree. Most noticeably, my zombie hamstrings have benefited from windmills. Before, if I hip hinged keeping a neutral spine (as in an RDL minus the barbell), my hands got just below my knees before my lumbar would round. Now, they get to the bottoms of my shins.

 

Shoulders are better all around. My wall extension ROM has about doubled.

 

Terrifyingly, my squat depth has also increased. I only back squat as low as I can without rounding the lumbar (I use 5/3/1). I used to get just below parallel. Now I've added about 2 inches to my bottom, which has caused me to dial back the weight and warm-up with pause squats because I would be rock solid til the last two inches, then turn into gumby, then get solid as I came up to the previous bottom. Need to build tension in the new bottom, but the pause squats and the SLS progressions are helping a lot.