mmm said:I agree with the above ideas. I don't think that the vegetable sources of protein are great as stand alone sources, but they're terrific as a part of a diverse diet. Red meat, white meat, fish, eggs, legumes and though they are often slammed, tofu and the like can be eaten in combination to create a really great diverse diet. It goes without saying that these should be eaten with a ton of veggies.
While I don't agree with your parents about whey protein, I don't blame them for being concerned about stuff like whey. It's better to have parents that are skeptical of processed stuff than parents who depend on it to feed their families. I think that speaking with a sports nutritionist with them is a great idea. Make sure they ask the tough questions so that they can have their concerns addressed.
I am always interested when I read recommendations for "low fat" foods as this seems to be another way to say "more processed". Processed food is exactly the kind of thing I try to avoid. The problem I see is that in a sense, fat is flavor... remove fat, remove flavor. When processors remove fat they often add sugar and other low nutrient stuff to make up for the reduced flavor.
I don't know if that applies to the low fat foods mentioned above. Maybe folks here can share their knowledge. To be clear, I'm not claiming that my understanding is correct... I honestly want to hear what some of the wise folks here think of this.
"Processing" is not evil. Some processing is beneficial. It's worth actually looking in to what happens to your food rather than just demonizing 'processed food'. All food is processed to one degree or another. If you really want to eat healthy, you need to learn what processes are applied to which foods, and whether or not they are good or bad.
Non-fat greek yogurt for example, is merely greek yogurt made from skim milk. And skim milk is just un-homogenized whole milk where the cream has been scraped off of the top. Nothing in the processing makes it appreciably less healthy than fatty greek yogurt.
If you prefer the taste of the fatty version, that is a perfectly valid reason to eat it instead of the non-fat version. Personally, I think they're about the same in this case, so I eat the non-fat version.