This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS Progression Advice

Started by Julian Wilson, April 22, 2013 · 13 Replies · 480 Views

Julian Wilson

Hi all,

 

I have really struggled with SLS because of my very poor squat (YEARS of bad posture, minimal exercise, and, naturally, poor flexibility). I am still working on my deck squat, and although my squat has improved a bit from skiiers and a lot of stretching, I still cannot access the bottom position in the deck squat after 2 months. I've tried every tip in the book and I feel like I want to give up on this progression. I haven't improved at all in the leg strength department because my deck squats remain inconsistent and utilize a lot of momentum. Naturally, later PEs are impossible. This just results in a lot of frustration and I'm at a loss of what to do for SLS. 

 

Alright, I'm not giving up, but I would really appreciate advice on what I should do.

Thanks!
 

Joshua Slocum
Julian Wilson said:

Hi all,

 

I have really struggled with SLS because of my very poor squat (YEARS of bad posture, minimal exercise, and, naturally, poor flexibility). I am still working on my deck squat, and although my squat has improved a bit from skiiers and a lot of stretching, I still cannot access the bottom position in the deck squat after 2 months. I've tried every tip in the book and I feel like I want to give up on this progression. I haven't improved at all in the leg strength department because my deck squats remain inconsistent and utilize a lot of momentum. Naturally, later PEs are impossible. This just results in a lot of frustration and I'm at a loss of what to do for SLS. 

 

Alright, I'm not giving up, but I would really appreciate advice on what I should do.

Thanks!

 

Can you post a video? That would make it easier to give pointers. 

chobbs

Have you tried the elevated mat approach? I am failing to see how that could not work - worst case the elevation would have to be quite high (up to chair height at the most - unless you can't get out of a chair), but it should still work. In any case, that approach has been working the best for me while I address the ankle and hip mobility deficits I currently have.

 

- Chris

Keilani Gutierrez

I'd assess your current mobility vs your pre-existing mobility as a good indicator of where you are heading. now that im doing the progressions, my progress sky rocketed when I practiced idos squat clinic and using the bottom position of the squat with the feet planted on the floor to get used to that portion of the deck squat because the roll momentum will not create strength, its the act of concentrically lowering into the bottom of the squat, the tension of you holding the position while in the roll and then when you enter back into the bottom squat position you pause for a moment #dramaticpause..... and then squat up. rise and repeat.

give this a looksie and give it a whirl, it not only feels great, it will release a lot of tension stored in the hamstring and also the calves to allow you comfortably sink without lifting your heels.

Kit Laughlin has a video on this

and also as Hari has suggested, there's nothing better than looking at what you have worked upto so far and what nudge in the correct direction you need, from looking at a recording.

Geoff

I have had some great difficulties doing this exercise and I still cannot do it without elevated mats. Last week, after two months of struggling I have, however, found a way to consistently roll out of the deck squat and it boils down to the following:

1) When you roll onto the floor, curl yourself up into a tight ball (think tuck up)

2) Make sure you do not uncurl when rolling back. Video yourself to check that you are not uncurling. I noticed that if I had a bit too much momentum backwards I would uncurl a little, without noticing, and the roll would fail.

3) When the right time comes, pull your feet underneath your bottom. This might cause you to make a bit more noise than you're used to, as if you're stomping on the floor. I think this contraction is similar to what you'd do if you try to get up in between your feet without using your hands, while sitting on the floor and your legs in front of you (what [Warning: Loud music!]

).

 

I can still only do this on elevated mats and I feel that in order to be able to do these on the floor I need a lot more flexibility. But after last week, I have a better idea of how this exercise should be performed.

Julian Wilson

http://youtu.be/wjzYRAalNWI

Sorry for the late reply. Here is a video of my deck squats, and some squats (assisted and unassisted)
 

Thanks for all the help, it means so much to me!

FritsMB
Julian Wilson said:

Hi all,

 

I have really struggled with SLS because of my very poor squat (YEARS of bad posture, minimal exercise, and, naturally, poor flexibility). I am still working on my deck squat, and although my squat has improved a bit from skiiers and a lot of stretching, I still cannot access the bottom position in the deck squat after 2 months. I've tried every tip in the book and I feel like I want to give up on this progression. I haven't improved at all in the leg strength department because my deck squats remain inconsistent and utilize a lot of momentum. Naturally, later PEs are impossible. This just results in a lot of frustration and I'm at a loss of what to do for SLS. 

 

Alright, I'm not giving up, but I would really appreciate advice on what I should do.

Thanks!

 

 

 

 

As far as I can tell from your video, it is the tightness in your achilles tendons that makes it difficult for you to squat all the way down without falling backward (I have the same problem). Otherwise, your flexibility appears to be fine. When you look at your video in slow motion, you will see that (when rolling into the squat) your chest is on your thighs (as it should be) and your hamstrings are on your calves (as it should be). In other words no problem with compression. So, stretching your achilles tendons is your priority. I leave it to someone more knowledgeable to tell you what a good stretching routine is. Or do a search. Not a huge problem imo. Just enjoy it while it gets better, as it will. (Fyi, I am still struggling with holding the bottom part of the squat position, but can now easily do my 5x15 deck squats, using momentum; no problem with Cossack squats).

Mark Collins

Your trunk is too flexed for the squat. I would try some wall squats with your body facing towards the wall. Then I would progress to doing these with your arms overhead so the hand lightly touches the wall. Then try progressing to some overhead squats with a really light weight to develop the erector spinal.

Bissen

Agreeing with Frits, I'd say ankle flexibility/mobility. Kelly Starrett (mobility wod/project) has done quite a few videos on this. Maybe Kit has, too.

Keilani Gutierrez

Julian, this will seem like a wierd question but do you get a "burn" in the muscle on the front your shin when you do deck squats?

Julian Wilson

Nope. I get no pain while doing these. Thanks for the help guys. I'll look into it.

Keilani Gutierrez

okay, Try this. when you roll back, flex your feet like if you wanted to touch your shin, and flex your hip so that you get your knees the closest possible to your chest.

do this when you do the roll and you will see that when you roll you won't stop in the floor because you'll be round and will get up with a lot more ease.

please let me know if this helps. :)

Geoff
KeilaniG said:

okay, Try this. when you roll back, flex your feet like if you wanted to touch your shin, and flex your hip so that you get your knees the closest possible to your chest.

do this when you do the roll and you will see that when you roll you won't stop in the floor because you'll be round and will get up with a lot more ease.

please let me know if this helps. :)

Wow, I remember experimenting with contracting shin muscles when I started doing deck squats in februari and march, but I wonder why I forgot about it. It almost made it possible for me to do a good 'tucked' deck squat! I love how adding different new cues every once in a while makes exercises more and more complete. Even though I have been doing PE1 for everything save HBP since last week, I cannot say that I am still doing the same exercises as when I started :)

Nic Branson

Tight ankles, tight glutes