Supersetting FBEs

Started by George Launchbury, January 20, 2009 · 8 Replies · 2,788 Views

George Launchbury

Hi Coach

(well, ideally Coach - but anyone else please jump in if you can answer)

If you spot this, and have the time available, I have a question regarding the Pairing of FBEs.

I do a number of my workouts at the gym, and due to layout, availability and the impact both have on time - it has pretty much worked out that alternative pairings are more suitable logistically. Without the relevant background knowledge/experience it is impossible to say whether there is any significant detriment from not using the pairings prescribed in your book?

Here is what I have been doing:

  • [*:31qhfgr7]Pull-ups -vs- Dips
    [*:31qhfgr7]Curls -vs- Pushups
    [*:31qhfgr7]Rows -vs- HSPU

From a purely logical standpoint that should be fine, but IMO knowledge/experience trumps logic ...and the magic may well be in the details!

Many thanks,

George.

Chris H Laing

I would go with...

pullups -> HSPUs

rows -> pushups

curls -> dips

...because in each pairing, the hands and arms are in the same position. In HSPUs and pullups, your arms are overhead, in rows and pushups they are out in front of you, and in curls and dips your hands are by your waist.

This is how I have mine set up anyway.

George Launchbury

Hi Chris,

Yes that's how it is in Coach's book, and how I started out with them. I was mainly wondering that since my approach is less than optimal ...how much less!?

:)

George.

Chris H Laing

If you realize it's less than optimal then why does it even matter how much? Why dont you just go with the optimal approach?

George Launchbury

Did you read the original post?

George.

Chris H Laing

Haha not really. :oops:

But i see it now, the layout and time availability. And in that case I would think that the exercise pairings would work fine because they still use antagonistic muscles and all that good stuff.

George Launchbury
:)
Coach Sommer

George,

Those pairings will be fine. Remember that it is also quite productive to use MPPr, MPPu and CPP variations as well. However you would like to pair them is fine, just keep good records to make sure that all of the various planes of motion are being attended to over this particular micro-cycle of your training.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

George Launchbury

Thanks Coach,

I'm running through a cycle or two to test the waters, so to speak, before adding in too much work: See where I am, what my current recovery is like, identify weak movements/planes, etc. For example I have dropped all FSPs but the L-Sit this cycle, because I just wasn't recovering between workouts.

What with the Golfer's Elbow, Meningitis and then a cracked rib last year (2008 sucked healthwise) I am just about training properly again. As soon as strength to weight (cough :oops:) levels are a little more favourable I intend to work in the MPPr, MPPu and CPP variations as you suggested, as well as some Integrated Training protocols.

Secretly I'm slightly enjoying the chance to start again "properly" armed with your book and a year's worth of extra knowledge from the forum :)

Best,

George.