This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Transition from PE1 to PE2 on the 4 wrist exercises

Started by stan, April 20, 2013 · 11 Replies · 561 Views

stan

I'm finishing Week 12 on the PE1s this week and have a couple of questions on moving to the PE2s.

  1. Is it ok to keep doing 5x5 and gradually increase the slope keeping low to moderate work intensity instead of going directly to the PE2 slope and dropping the volume to 3x1? This feels like an easier transition that is more in the spirit of the wrist training.
  2. For the FKP/PE1 is it necessary to achieve a 90 degree angle before moving on? When I started I couldn't do more than 30 degrees and this has improved to about 45 degrees but 90 looks like it will take many months to reach if at all possible.
Keilani Gutierrez

I started PE1's for all wrist prep, to milk the progressions for what they're worth. i recommend that to impede the posibility of creating an injury, to film yourself and submit the video to allow members who have mastered the element or better, if Coach could give you his opinion, to which we are all accustomed to being fined tuned to have greater success as we move on, which is his goal with all of us and those he trains. 

 

with regards to mobility on FKP pushups, i also thought that i could cheat with the lack of mobility but seeing as how this element serves a particular purpose for improving wrist strength in that ROM, it is essential that we develop the 90 degrees of mobility to ensure success in later progressions AND to also not peg-leg us by having to take a step back on certain elements due to injury and starting rehab and working it up again from zero and to eliminate this further destructive cycle. 

 

what i've done(per recommended by coach) is to work on the mobility element seeing as how this IS a strength move but since it incorporates a degree of mobility, it does have to be developed before we move on to PE2, which is a slightly harded version of PE1 with the same degree of mobility only under more load. 

 

remember, what you do in Manna's, you are doing in MN/PE1, only that it is so abbreviated to a certain level of strength that it makes possible to create a manna, from that simple progression. 

 

you and I want the Handstand, then we must first master PE1, which is the first brick in the H1 Castle that we are all here building. 

 

excuse me if im wrong, but I'm sure that not a single gymnast here in PR will have these types of opportunities unless a responsible coach, which im sure exists, will undergo himself and also promote to his students to follow this system because of the already disclosed results in the hard working athletes that demonstrate the PE's.

 

my recommendation, which is only a reitoration of what I have learned here, enjoy the basics and milk it for what it's worth. with the higher work load at a even higher level of quality, things will only get more difficult as it goes on. 

stan
Thanks for the answer Keilani. I'm certainly not the one to rush and can sit on an exercise for a very long time if that's the right thing to do. I could do a perfect 5x60s on the HS/PE1 from the start and am still on it because I have been working on the HS/PE1>iM for a while now - and am quite happy to sit on the PE1 and enjoy getting used to being upside down.

 

So 90 degrees is possible to reach for everyone? I thought that some people may have a lower maximum angle that can be developed due to their specific joint structure. In this case is it recommended to do mobility training outside of the exercise? I think a physiotherapy-like massaging/stretching of the individual knuckles will improve the mobility better than the FK/PE1 itself.
FredInChina
stan said:

 

(...) So 90 degrees is possible to reach for everyone?

 

 

I don't think a full 90 degree is possible for everyone - there is certainly room for improvement for all, but depending on what you've used your hands for for decades, 90 degrees may be out of reach to some.

Maybe you should stay on this progression until there is no measurable progress for maybe 3 months, then move on? (if you are 20yo, just keep at it, you'll get there!)

 

Someone with better knowledge might drop by and confirm. :)

Keilani Gutierrez

there's a wrist series out by Kit Laughlin which goes into detail on two occassions on how to increase first knuckle mobility but Coach exposes his athletes to the programming you see in H1, so there's no reason why it wouldn't develop that amount of mobility. 

 

what i have been doing from time to time before my H1 workout is to do the Wrist Novel Movements and FK stretch for 10 secs, then begin with the H1 wrist stretches, do the wrist PE's and then do another Wrist Novel movement before I start my H1 WOD. 

stan

I'm 31 and have spend the last 26 years on the computer keyboard! I can certainly tell you what this means for the general mobility, though I'm not sure if it really impacts the finger ROM :)

 

I'll try a few additional things like gentle stretching of the knuckles the Kit Laughlin and the Novel Movements and see what this achieves. Thanks for the suggestions. Doing just the FKP/PE1 is probably good enough but additional focused work on the area that needs it should help and I'll keep the intensity low.

 

If there is no progression in a period like 3 months then I guess the best thing is to move on. Within the FKP the limited ROM sounds like it makes the exercises safer if anything, and I haven't seen anything about holding the HS work until the wrist exercises have been mastered.

cheeto-man

I find myself very confused with the wrist exercises.

 

(1) must each of the 4 wrist exercises progress together? Or can I be at PE2 for some and PE1 for others (FKP specifically)?

 

(2) Do these exercises follow the 5 rep mastery schedule? 3x1 week 1 up to 5x5 week 11?

 

(3) Should I progress week to week even if I can't do a movement properly (FKP not at 90)? If so I'm guess when I get to week 12 I go back to week 1? And would this hold true for F1? For example, I reached week 11 and can hold ABH for 5x60 with REALLY poor range of motion. Should I go back to week 1?

 

Thanks for any help.

Keilani Gutierrez

1. you can progress at your own pace throughout the PE's and Se's
2.yes, it does follow the mastery template, thats how you progress and follow up with deload. :)
3. you will have to aim for the best you can, whatever provides the most quality and then building up from that. 

 

in my case, i'm on week 1 in SL PE1 but im week 6 in FL/PE1 & i'm week 5 in H1. 

Ronin168

so does that mean that in a year, i could hypothetically be doing the program correctly if i'm at h1/pe6, wp/se4, wr/se2, ftp/se1, and fkp/pe1?

Jon Douglas
Ronin168 said:

so does that mean that in a year, i could hypothetically be doing the program correctly if i'm at h1/pe6, wp/se4, wr/se2, ftp/se1, and fkp/pe1?

Hypothetically yes. Setting aside the idea of spending a year on PE1... :P

Of course, they will also work synergistically with each other and progress faster due to that

wheezer

<- This keyboard junkie is on PE3 for the other three, and still pumping out FKP/PE1's - six months later!

 

I also found the transition PE1 -> PE2 a little intense. I found by piking my hips a little, it took enough pressure off for smooth movement. After 2-3 weeks I rolled my hips back in for full PE2 force.

Keilani Gutierrez

i feel ya, wheezer. :/ been repeating week 9-12

for months now.

on transitions to pe2, i valued week 1 a lot. especially for Wrist Rocks, thumb was really sore after the first day doing'em