This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Programming in H1?

Started by Svend, April 20, 2013 · 5 Replies · 323 Views

Svend

Hi everybody

 

I recently bought the H1 course with the imagination, that there would be detailed programming available. I can't, however, seem to find instructions in how to program the exercises. The link "Cycles" gives an example of a program - but it just covers the first progressions. I don't think i really get this - how do you guys do your programming? 

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm sure I'm missing something.

Jon Douglas
Svend said:

Hi everybody

 

I recently bought the H1 course with the imagination, that there would be detailed programming available. I can't, however, seem to find instructions in how to program the exercises. The link "Cycles" gives an example of a program - but it just covers the first progressions. I don't think i really get this - how do you guys do your programming? 

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm sure I'm missing something.

 

As the PE's are quite easy (the SE's probably aren't) for someone with basic handstand conditioning, I have been doing 5 comfortable mastery-rep sets of PE+IM, nudging the IM up to my comfortable limit for the day over the course of the 5.

For eg; today that was;

 

4x10 wrist stretches

 

WP 5x5 straight arms

FKP 5x5 straight arms

WR SE4 5x5

FTP SE4 5x3

 

HS

2x 30sec PE5, 5IM5 (4kg, 5kg)

2x 10r PE6, 5 IM6 (4kg, 5kg)

2x 30sec PE7, 5 IM7 (4kg)

--

5x 30r PE8, 5IM8 (4kg)

 

- The first three (x2) sets are warmups based on my previously mastered elements, below the -- is my working set.

- If the PE's are comfortable at max reps, stay with them and work on the mobility. If you're happy with both, then substitute the next progression when you are comfortable with it; give it a session, a week, or a cycle if you prefer to consolidate your progress.

- Some people have preferred to run the 9-12 week programming to vary the load; I don't really see a necessity but YMMV.

- I'm working off the F1 line of using 2-3 previously mastered elements as a warmup. I used one extension and one flexion movement until I progressed through some dislocate elements, which combined the two (thus a time-saver). Indications are there's a lot of value in keeping the dislocates in warm-up and working to increase the weight and ROM long-term, and based on forum member Hari_Seldon's excellent advice I'm working one set with a weight I've achieved full ROM at, and a working weight to keep it increasing.

- This approach is giving me good results, but there may be tweaks that suit your situation better.

 

EDIT; Oh, and seriously, 'comfortable limit' for the mobility. No cracks, popping or effort faces.

Joshua Slocum
Svend said:

Hi everybody

 

I recently bought the H1 course with the imagination, that there would be detailed programming available. I can't, however, seem to find instructions in how to program the exercises. The link "Cycles" gives an example of a program - but it just covers the first progressions. I don't think i really get this - how do you guys do your programming? 

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm sure I'm missing something.

 

The 'cycles' page shows you examples of how you might schedule your workouts within a week.

 

To figure out the sets/reps to use for a given workout on a given week, you use the mastery templates  ( https://gymnasticbodies.customerhub.net/h1mastery ). So for example, let's say you were currently on week 7 of training HS/PE10: 60-rep handstand wall run. The mastery level for this exercise (indicated just above the exercise for the video) is 5x60 reps. So you look at the 5x60 rep template, and see that on week seven, you should be performing 5x36 repetitions. The same process is used for determining how much of each wrist exercise you should be doing. 

Keilani Gutierrez
Charm said:

As the PE's are quite easy (the SE's probably aren't) for someone with basic handstand conditioning, I have been doing 5 comfortable mastery-rep sets of PE+IM, nudging the IM up to my comfortable limit for the day over the course of the 5.

For eg; today that was;

 

4x10 wrist stretches

 

WP 5x5 straight arms

FKP 5x5 straight arms

WR SE4 5x5

FTP SE4 5x3

 

HS

2x 30sec PE5, 5IM5 (4kg, 5kg)

2x 10r PE6, 5 IM6 (4kg, 5kg)

2x 30sec PE7, 5 IM7 (4kg)

--

5x 30r PE8, 5IM8 (4kg)

 

- The first three (x2) sets are warmups based on my previously mastered elements, below the -- is my working set.

- If the PE's are comfortable at max reps, stay with them and work on the mobility. If you're happy with both, then substitute the next progression when you are comfortable with it; give it a session, a week, or a cycle if you prefer to consolidate your progress.

- Some people have preferred to run the 9-12 week programming to vary the load; I don't really see a necessity but YMMV.

- I'm working off the F1 line of using 2-3 previously mastered elements as a warmup. I used one extension and one flexion movement until I progressed through some dislocate elements, which combined the two (thus a time-saver). Indications are there's a lot of value in keeping the dislocates in warm-up and working to increase the weight and ROM long-term, and based on forum member Hari_Seldon's excellent advice I'm working one set with a weight I've achieved full ROM at, and a working weight to keep it increasing.

- This approach is giving me good results, but there may be tweaks that suit your situation better.

 

EDIT; Oh, and seriously, 'comfortable limit' for the mobility. No cracks, popping or effort faces.

hmmm, I felt like I was doing something a little wierd and it turns out I've only been doing the wrist stretches in one set instead of 4. 

 

or by 4x10 do you mean 1 set for each wrist stretch totaling in 4 sets? 

Jon Douglas
KeilaniG said:

hmmm, I felt like I was doing something a little wierd and it turns out I've only been doing the wrist stretches in one set instead of 4. 

 

or by 4x10 do you mean 1 set for each wrist stretch totaling in 4 sets? 

Definitely one set of 10 for each, totally 4 sets.

It's a slow but steady process; my middle split hold with flat hands is much more comfortable than it was a month ago.

 

I'm sure you could do a little more, like the same again after HS session, but personally I think that's doing more for the sake of it.

Keilani Gutierrez
Charm said:

Definitely one set of 10 for each, totally 4 sets.

It's a slow but steady process; my middle split hold with flat hands is much more comfortable than it was a month ago.

 

I'm sure you could do a little more, like the same again after HS session, but personally I think that's doing more for the sake of it.

-shrug of acknowledgement- true, my wrists feel good since H1 started, just brought up a doubt that i wanted to double make sure, for the sake of not assuming :P