This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question on Integrated Cycles

Started by bombadil, April 20, 2013 · 8 Replies · 207 Views

bombadil

Hi all, 

So, I'm through Week One.  I'm attempting to integrate F1 with HS1.  If I follow the foundation cycle for 3x per week, it is a split; some weeks I'll hit the first movements twice, other weeks, I'll hit the same movements once.  I like the split because as the work piles on through the progression, it could be daunting to do all of the movements in one session. 

 

And that brings me to my question.  I'm also following the handstand series (just finished week one as well). When looking at the integrated cycle for 3x per week, it has all of the foundations movements in one workout and all of the handstand movements in one separate workout.  

 

Am I reading this right?  So, in essence, I'm going from a 1 - 2 x per week per movement to 3x per week per movement while adding 3 additional days of handstand work.  I'm cool with this, but I just wanted to make sure I was doing it right. 

 

So, I'm hitting 6 sessions per week, fip-flopping between day A (FS) and day B (HS).  I plan to just play this out and listen to my body.  

 

Thanks, 

 

Pat

 

Peekay

Hey bombadil, personally i find doing all the elements in one session daunting like you say, and of course the workout takes a lot longer.

I tried it for a month and didn't much like it.

So i've gone back to the 5 day F1 split and i do H1 three times a week in separate sessions.

Now it feels good  :) That's my experience.

 

But yes you read it right. Good luck Pat  :)

bombadil

Thanks.  I'm half way through my first session trying to combine all the F1 elements...came to the same conclusion.  

 

I'm thinking I'll do the 4 x p week foundation cycle so I can see each movement 2x, 

and, I'll layer H1 on top of that, probably on off days from F1, so I'll still see 6 sessions per week, but it will be more manageable: 

 

Day 1:  FL, sPL, HBP, RC

Day 2:  SL, MN, SLS

Day 3:  H1

Day 4:  FL, sPL, HBP, RC

Day 5:  SL, MN, SLS

Day 6:  H1

Day 7:  rest

 

Thanks

Peekay

Looks good to me.

Jon Douglas

It looked like a bit of a big plunge at first, but after giving it a bash I've become comfortable doing 3x F7 and 3xH1 a week,and I'm nothing special in terms of conditioning or recovery.

Personally if I found this a bit too much I would rather shift to 2x F7 and 4x H1 than reducing the H1 days; these are much less taxing at least at this stage.

Hercules

2x F7 and 4x H1 is what I started - I'm only on week 1 (got it last sunday, timed with my start of cycle for F1) and I really like it. I probably would do fine on 3 x F7 and 3x H1 but want to press HS mobility development and allow for other stuff (sprints, floreio, martial arts, basic tumbling). 

Jon Douglas

As an NB, my reasoning  is that F7 elements would still progress very well on 2x a week-- maybe better than 3x for a lot of people, possibly including me as they get more demanding--  while handstand work would likely benefit from more sessions (provided conditioning is there of course)

hunashaman

I'm on week 4 of F1 and H1 and my program looks like this: F1 on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. H1 on Wednesday and Saturday. So far it is working for me. Not sure how I will feel when the volume and intensity goes up but I'm good for now.

HamdiC

I do the F1 3-day a week programming, and do H1 as a warm-up to my F1 workout on all 3 days. I've found that this 41-year old body needs recovery, so 3 days a week working out is the sweet spot for me. The idea of doing F7 two days a week, and then one day of HS1 didn't seem too appealing, so I'm trying this out. But perhaps after a while on this schedule I'll experiment with something else.