This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1 and dysfunctional scaps question

Started by David Gomes, April 18, 2013 · 5 Replies · 244 Views

David Gomes

Hi all, I've recently begun the Foundation 1 routine on week1/ PE1 for all exercises on the four day schedule.

Prior issues to starting the program include moderate scapular winging, which I can consciously adjust through posture (which I try to do all day at work) and by flexing (what I think are) the lower Traps and Serratus A. This activation of muscles also causes slight, sharp pain superior and medial to the scapula (sort of rhomboids region) 

 

Now a description of my problem related to F1:

While performing the initial tests for mastery of HBP/PE1, I noticed that as I lowered toward the bar, my scaps would rise up off of my ribcage and up towards the shoulders (classic winging, and absolutely wrong according to the videos in F1), and when I pressed back up, even trying to add a "plus" they still stayed winged. I can keep this from happening with maximal focus on keeping the serratus anterior tight, however it is absolutely the most difficult (focus and activation wise) part of the movement. At the end of 15 reps of this intense focus on proper form, I was rather cramped behind where Serratus attaches to the ribcage. As I have done the proceeding workouts (2 in total), I've experienced similar difficulty with maintaining proper form.

 

And on to my question:

I understand that F1 has design elements which are meant to fix this problem (cat cows, scap shrugs for  sPL/PE1, starting on incline p/u for HBP/PE1, basically all the /im for shoulders), but beyond performing the F1 Pe and im with strict form from week 1, what else can I do to supplement strengthened scapular depressors and proper shoulder flexibility? I feel like I have abnormally low neurological activation of Serratus A and am afraid that F1 might not be enough for me.

 

Thank you for reading this wall of text, I appreciate any input.

And thanks GB for publishing a quality product.

 

-David

Joshua Naterman

If you have neurological strength issues, it is a very good idea to see a sports chiropractor. I am seeing one now, and it has dramatically improved my ability to properly use upper traps on the right side.

 

From what you have said, you do not know enough to do this correctly on your own. I believe that professional assistance will greatly accelerate your improvements, and is probably the key to regaining full function.

Keilani Gutierrez

which is what im going to be looking into with my hips and take advantage of the trip and get my shoulders checked out as well. I wonder if they'll rotate my tires as well.

David Gomes

Thanks for the polite input, Joshua. I was hoping to avoid the 3 hour trip to my "local" PT, but it looks like I'll have to suck it up and drive. I guess I should stop the routine until I can get a professional opinion, I'd hate to hurt myself.. Sigh.

Joshua Naterman
David Gomes said:

Thanks for the polite input, Joshua. I was hoping to avoid the 3 hour trip to my "local" PT, but it looks like I'll have to suck it up and drive. I guess I should stop the routine until I can get a professional opinion, I'd hate to hurt myself.. Sigh.

No problem, that's a long drive, can't blame you for trying to avoid that one!

 

If there is anyone around who is licensed to practice manipulative medicine, perhaps an osteopath if you're in europe, they would be an excellent person to see.

chobbs

I don't think you are likely to hurt yourself as you didn't indicate there was any pain - in my experience some type of discomfort well precedes injury (unless there is a sudden extreme load). However, the muscles that should be doing the job aren't. I would drop HBP/PE1 down a notch and do it on the knees. This should allow you time to really focus on moving what needs to move, still be practicing the movement in the range you will train it in, and alleviate any excess load on structures you may not want to further strengthen.

 

I did this with my youngest son who was miming my workout yet struggled with this movement, despite being in a gymnastics program. I also needed to stand over him for a bit with my finger in between his shoulder blades so he could get the idea of what he was supposed to be pinching together. It helped him immensely, so if you can find a partner it may be something to try while waiting for your PT visit.

 

- Chris