This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

high frequency vs low frequency

Started by Alessandro Mainente, April 17, 2013 · 3 Replies · 372 Views

Alessandro Mainente

i finished to read for the 4th time BtGB, and i was very curious to make a question about a particular that until now does not have an answer...

on the schedule part of BtGB Coach Sommer said that is possible to use different plane movement for the week schedule..of course this means that you have a basic strength to work over multiplane, horizzontal, vertical etc, and this way can be  a great choice if we talk about the difficulty to organize a training, and of course "...This keeps the mind fresh and engaged while helping to prevent overuse injuries"

 and you have more time to recovery. This schedule in particular has a low frequency of training on one exercise, probably one time a week.

On the other hand, foundation 1 promotes an higher frequency...i have to say that you start in a point where the multiplane exercises are not accessible.

the advantageous of train multiple times the same movements has benefits in terms of learning the correct pattern, and certain bodyweigth exercises respond better on high frequency.

I  was into a bodyweigth  workshop of rkc before the split into rkc and SF and also they promote high frequency.

I have the tendency to preserve my body and i don't what to fall in stupid injury...

So what about the risk on injury due to high frequency? 3 times a week for a movement is not to much?

 

thanks for clarification

trw

It's really up to you to determine if three times a week is too much. You certainly aren't required to do that, or even told to. I don't. I'm sure some do. How's your recovery?

 

Anyway, even if you divide your movements by plane I imagine there must be some decent carryover between them. Frequency of muscle use may remain. Am I understanding you right? As in: Day 1 vertical pull, Day 2 horizontal pull, etc., then repeat again next week.

 

Mainly, as long as you always maintain good form and pay attention to your recovery you should be fine. Sacrifice form and no one can promise you anything because you're no longer following the program correctly. Form's the marker for ability. I'm no expert, but that seems to be the local wisdom.

Alessandro Mainente

my recovery is good but in the past i've never did 3 times a week the same movements...i can increase my strength by doing one movement a week and i have experimented it also with my brother. he is doing rc progression since one year training it one time a week and he is progressing constantly. of course is not the only pull movement he was doing, and what you suppose about the carryover is not stupid!!!...with that way no one injury occurs in one years..

i'll try to do my current routine more often...we will see

Joshua Naterman

The real issue is how much volume there is each training session.

 

I do rotator cuff work every day, often multiple times per day, but it's like 4-7 reps for one set on nearly all occasions. Twice per week I have a real workout.

 

 

I do the same thing with planche leans, and it helps tremendously. The trick is that on the non-workout days I only do a single lean at one time, and I don't do this more than twice in the same day. By controlling the volume, I not only prevent additional recovery from being required, I also feel like I recover faster, and I have definitely gotten a lot stronger.

 

These two examples were to try and illustrate that when we talk about frequency, volume is a big issue.

 

The advantage of performing different movements with crossover between muscle groups, like what you're asking about, is that you get to stimulate the tissue regularly, but you also get to train a wider variety of skills, and this tends to make sure that you aren't missing anything important in your muscular development.

 

The potential disadvantage is simply that most people don't know their bodies well enough to successfully control their training volume, and this is usually going to lead to injuries.

 

As I pointed out above, you don't have to work high volume every day when you train frequently.

 

Because this can get complicated to control, following one of the Foundation templates is usually the best way to go. Because of the way the warm ups are structured, it should be easy to get a wide variety of movements while still concentrating your main effort on your current training progressions. :)