Planche progression, Forearm pain

Started by Noathebeast, April 17, 2013 · 6 Replies · 13,286 Views

Noathebeast

I have been training on rings now for at least 8 Month and I have been doing handstands and acrobatics for the last 8 years at least twice a weak.

 

The last 8 month I have trained quite strict 4-7times a week (depends how fresh I felt) for 45min to 1,5h per day.  When I train >4times a week, I never go bigger then 1h per day. Again, I listen to my body and take it from there.

 

I am currently on 8%bf at round 190lbs (just to give you an idea of workload and stuff. I am spot on with my diet. ( To explain that in detail would take too much time;-), you now what I mean.

 

My Problem:

 

I recently moved in my steady state planche cycle to the next progression.

tucked/round back -> flat back.

 

I completed my last cycle within aprox 10 weeks and the new progression was hard but  felt allright first.

 

So now my planche work looks like 16x 4sec holds with 45sec rest periods  in between.

 

The first two sessions were ok but then I started to feel pain close to the bone in my forearm. The pain just started when I finished my holds "right when I released the strain", so NOT under endurance. I didn´t thought a lot of it but it got worse and worse. I took 4days off (too many off days kinda drive me nuts,to say that :D)and tried again.

 

And yup- the pain is still there and now also present when I flex the forearm to do anything else.

 

I had to deal with all sorts of joint pain back in the days but thats all history. So this is something new and I do not quite know how to proceed. It would be great to get some piece of inside advice/ tips of someone who suffered something similar.

 

I attached a picture to give you an idea where the pain is located.... (it fells like there is not enough space in my forearm and the muscle is somehow pressing aganist the bone...)

 

post-6094-0-60735200-1366235742_thumb.jp

 

Yes, I now how stupid that sounds :D

 

Thank you for your time!

 

 

B1214N

Those are forearm splints and I used to have those too when I first started training planche. You would have to stop and rest when the pain becomes too much, but eventually you won't experience these anymore the more you train.

Dr. Durden

It's a classic - don't worry!

For rehab - do rise bucket wrist circles (youtube/google)

 

For planche - stick with a variantion you can hold for at least ten seconds in four sets - such as a high bent leg straddle Lsit

Dr. Durden

....and get a habit of releasing your grip slowly when working heavy

raja

I suggest you ease the planche variation to one that you can hold for atleast 8 seconds per set.

 

Couple that with wrist strengthening, mobilization, and myofascial release. From the picture, it looks like you should address 'flexor carpi ulnaris', but I would recommend focusing on other muscles too.

Noathebeast

Thanks heaps for your advice, I will do some research on your named options and put it to the test. THANK YOU

Joshua Naterman

Simple test for forearm splints: Tape your wrist fairly tightly, and then do your planche. If the pain is greatly reduced, or completely gone, you have forearm splints, and may want to visit http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/elbow-pain/forearm-splints

 

for some extra info on treatment.

 

Just for completeness, forearm splits are usually due to inflammation from microtrauma (small injuries) to the interosseous membrane that holds the radius and ulna together.

 

Did you ever wonder why those bones don't just fly apart when muscles are pulling them apart? It's because there's a thick band of connective tissue holding them together. When you do put too much stress on that tissue, you end up with what you are feeling right now. You probably did too much, too soon.