This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Need Help Swallowing Tough Pills

Started by bombadil, April 16, 2013 · 10 Replies · 529 Views

bombadil

Hi all, new here... 

 

A little background:  fitness enthusiast my whole life.  Found Crossfit 5 years ago.  Got burnt out, but was exposed to many cool new movements:  Olympic lifting and Gymnastics, specifically. Even with consistent training and a mainly "Paleo" diet, a stressful life and a general disenchantment for fitness due to lack of progress,  I have reached quite an un-optimal body comp (5'7", 185lbs, 20 - 25% body fat).  

 

About a year ago, I bought BtGB and began basic progressions, but would get fed up because I never knew how to "program" effectively; although, in hindsight, I realize most of this was due to no long term commitment and consistency (I was also a fatty, so no wonder I couldn't do a front lever!!!) 

 

Now 30, I've decided to turn things around.  

 

To the present:  Foundation One seems to be what I need:  logical, linear progressions all laid out in an easy to digest format. 

 

After messing around with some informal "tests" to see where I should start, I realized that I'm at the very beginning with ALL mobility work.  That said, I'm in the middle of the progressions for bent arm and straight arm work.  

 

It has been suggested that one should keep the pairings of movements (from strength and mobility) together, and no go off into different progressions. 

 

Okay, so if that is the case, and I'm starting at the very beginning, that means that my strength will not be challenged but my mobility will...  So, here are my questions/concerns: 

 

1)  I am humble, and I'm trying to "check my ego at the door" as Coach writes, however--and I'm not saying this as a big "look at what I can do" badge-of-honor, but presently, I can do a few kipping muscle ups, about 5 handstand pushups against the wall, and 1 or 2 SLS on each leg (but shaky).  My mobility, though, is terrible!  If I look at the programming, it looks like it would take around 3 years to progress through all of the movements.  Won't I become de-conditioned in this time? 

 

2)  Is the goal of the Foundations Series to build one's base to the point where they can BEGIN BtGB?  If each course takes 3 years or so, from beginning to end, might it be 9 years or more before I can start training the movements in BtGB again? 
 

3)  I was hoping to really focus on my goal of losing body fat while doing the course, thus making the movements much easier...  With this in mind, is it appropriate to layer a conditioning component into the course?  I was thinking early morning HIIT 3 x per week with sprints and kettlebell swings.  Will this in any way be detrimental to the progressions? 

 

4)  Speaking of that, do people often continue other strength training programs concurrently with this foundations course?  deads, squats, etc.?  

 

Sorry for the long email.  This is so much different than what I'm used to.  I tend to be an intensity junkie, so it doesn't seem like I'll be able to scratch that it.  But, I want to move better and live better :)

 

Thanks for taking the time to read this email. 

 

Patrick 

 

 

Cole Dano

- Hearing your present accomplishments, I would venture to guess that not only is mobility not up to par, but neither is your form on many elements.

 

- However, not everything has to take three years, it may be some things take even longer to achieve, some less.

 

- If your mobility catches up in less than 12 weeks, you can always take the mastery test before a deload week and if you pass move on.

 

- The Foundation series IS  essentially BtGB II when/if you finish it you will have worked through much of BtGB

dritar

Assuming that your present accomplishments represent good form, i.e. HeSPU with hands below shoulders and no elbows flaring, good pushups (not to say it's your case, but typical crossfit videos you see terrible form), you can always add one or two sets to mantain your strength.

 

I would only bother if it's good form though. 

 

Some people may add deadlifts and squats to complement the program but beware that, while this is easy to do in the early weeks the volume of F1 ramps up quickly so you don't want to impact recovery, so it maybe hard to serve 2 masters. 

 

Can't hurt to throw a nice conditioning session once a week if your body can handle it.

Joshua Slocum

1. Given your description of your strength, you won't have to go to far into F1 before you start to be challenged strength-wise. If you're worried about losing strength while spending a few months working on mobility, feel free to add 1-2 'maintenance sets' after your F1 work.

 

2. F1 is approximately a 1.5 year course, not a 3 year course. F1-4 should take about 5-6 years (assuming no major changes in course length for F2-4). Some of the movements in the later foundation installments will be quite advanced (for example, F4 should include manna and straddle-planche). Foundation will take you through many of the exercises featured in BtGB. The HBP progressions in F1 are already edging into BtGB territory, for example.

 

3. Some HIIT for cardio should make an excellent complement to the Foundation course. Just be careful to make sure the HIIT is lower-body focused so that you're giving your upper-body an appropriate amount of rest. 

 

4. Some people do additional weighted leg-work to supplement, since foundation includes only one leg strength element. If you choose to go this route, just make sure to be aware of how your legs are doing. If you fall behind the programming in SLS progressions, you're going to want to back off of the weights. 

bombadil

Thanks for the info guys. 

Ravn

I had the same concern as you starting out with F1, and tried to compensate by throwing more advanced BtGB stuff into my program.

By the way, I can do slow muscle-ups for reps, half-lay front levers, free-standing HeSPUs and such.

Now I'm 8 weeks into my first cycle, and it's pretty tough, so I've had to ditch all the extras, apart from a little bit of FSP's before the main F1 work. I'm progressing nicely, but something as simple as HBP/PE2 is kicking my ass, and I need to do another microcycle.

Basically, I thought I was strong, but I wasn't really.

In terms of conditioning, by all means, add something a few times a week, and like Hari says, keep it lower body focused. I've found that I

need some cardio/ HIIT as well.

Welcome, and bon voyage!

bombadil

This is good to hear, especially from one who is clearly stronger me. Very motivated to move forward with this.

Joshua Naterman

Hey ho, Tom Bombadillo!

Master of wood, water and hill you may be,

But a master of GST... well, we'll see :)

 

 

Sorry, I love Tolkein.

 

 

Anyhow, I am also smack in the middle of F1, like many others here. I am taking the time to slowly work through everything, even if I technically have the muscular strength for it, because I am getting stronger from the work.

 

I've got straight arm slow inlocates, wide muscle ups with virtually no lean at all, etc. I'm reasonably strong, yet here I am... almost, but not quite, testing out of RC PE1 :) Manna progressions, in general, are my bane, and I'll be on F1 for a long time in the MN progressions.

 

I probably have at least a year's worth of mobility work to do before I move any farther along with H1, which puts me at iM 1 and 2, and PE3 for at least that long. A few years ago this would have bothered me, but now... it's all good.

 

 

I don't say this to be condescending, but your strength is definitely not all that highly developed, and in truth neither is mine. Accepting this has allowed me to step away from the pride in my own abilities, which always seemed to encourage me to see how quickly I could accomplish something, and start focusing on where I am NOW, and mastering what is in front of me. As a result, I'm looking great, feeling great, and I am getting stronger even though everything I am doing is extremely basic!

 

The truth is that it is probably a good idea to leave most of those skills alone, because as others have mentioned your form may not be ideal.  Of course, if you post a video for form check, and the form appears to be ok, there's nothing terribly wrong with doing a muscle up or two and a FL hold after your Foundation work for the day is done. Just beware of what Dritar said: You can't serve two masters. You will be tempted to do more FL and MU as you see yourself getting stronger... don't do it! I am experiencing this right now, and I am being a good boy, but it's tough to resist.

 

I'd say best of luck, but you don't need luck with the Foundation series... All you need is consistency.

 

So, good training to you, and I am looking forward to seeing your progress!

Peekay
Joshua Naterman said:

Hey ho, Tom Bombadillo!

Master of wood, water and hill you may be,

But a master of GST... well, we'll see :)

 

 

Can't believe he wasn't in the movies. Not seeing Goldberry was a kick in the teeth too.

bombadil

It's nice to know I'm in the right place, hahaha... I've used Bombadil a few times as my tag for various things...this is the first time anyone recognized the reference!!  

 

Remember, Bombadil was the only character immune to the ring's power...  Hope that's NOT my case with gymnastics rings!!   :lol:

 

So, due to my mobility limitations, I'm starting from the intro movements.  I've got a lot of work to do and looking forward to the journey. 

 

I guess I should keep  Tolkein in mind:  "The road goes ever on and on..."

 

Thanks for the input/support folks. 

Joshua Naterman

You're doing the right thing, don't worry about that :)

 

You will not be immune to the strength-building powers of the rings, though you might want to beware of the temptation towards reaching for power that is greater than your earthly vessel can currently handle... they seem to provoke that in most of us!

 

Following the Plan of Sommer will build you a vessel worthy of great powers indeed, and in due time they shall be yours :P

 

The road does, indeed, go ever on. Thank goodness... I'd hate to get to the end and think "Ok... NOW what?! :huh: "