This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tip: Actually film yourself performing the exercises

Started by Kiyu, April 16, 2013 · 13 Replies · 590 Views

Kiyu

To anyone who hasn't come around to filming themselves performing the exercises, definitely do so TODAY. Many of you will be astounded by your bad form and mistakes, I guarantee it. It's astounding how unaware one can be of one's own movements and form without a coach.

 

I did film myself today for the first time, and I am horrified. Seeing how far off I am with my Xiaopengs, how lame my simple pushups are... I've made a decision to start over from scratch, and make sure I perform every single exercise flawlessly. My chances for progressing further are slim to none if I don't correct this as soon as possible. It sucks to start over again, but that's life.

 

So to restate to all beginners like me: Do film yourself and compare your form to those in the videos.

Cory Fair
Phillip Maessoumi said:

To anyone who hasn't come around to filming themselves performing the exercises, definitely do so TODAY. Many of you will be astounded by your bad form and mistakes, I guarantee it. It's astounding how unaware one can be of one's own movements and form without a coach.

 

I did film myself today for the first time, and I am horrified. Seeing how far off I am with my Xiaopengs, how lame my simple pushups are... I've made a decision to start over from scratch, and make sure I perform every single exercise flawlessly. My chances for progressing further are slim to none if I don't correct this as soon as possible. It sucks to start over again, but that's life.

 

So to restate to all beginners like me: Do film yourself and compare your form to those in the videos.

 

 

You will find your success greatly increases with this attitude. I look forward to your videos of complete mastery of each final element. :)

Mats Trane
Phillip Maessoumi said:

To anyone who hasn't come around to filming themselves performing the exercises, definitely do so TODAY. Many of you will be astounded by your bad form and mistakes, I guarantee it. It's astounding how unaware one can be of one's own movements and form without a coach.

 

I did film myself today for the first time, and I am horrified. Seeing how far off I am with my Xiaopengs, how lame my simple pushups are... I've made a decision to start over from scratch, and make sure I perform every single exercise flawlessly. My chances for progressing further are slim to none if I don't correct this as soon as possible. It sucks to start over again, but that's life.

 

So to restate to all beginners like me: Do film yourself and compare your form to those in the videos.

Couldn't agree more! Years ago when I filmed my self the first time I almost got depressed! One couldn't be more honest to your self.

You have to think of the camera as your Coach. I film my self at least once every 3 weeks to spotcheck my self.

wheezer

+1. It's sometimes amazing the difference between how it feels and how it looks.

Bissen

I still can't believe I'm so weak in pushups. Scap shrugs followed by pushups + Xiaopengs are humbling. I'll fell I'll finally actually get strong shoulders, now.

 

I have yet to film myself though.

Joshua Naterman
wheezer said:

+1. It's sometimes amazing the difference between how it feels and how it looks.

Nothing is more hilarious, or humbling, than THINKING you are doing everything perfectly... only to have your girlfriend come over and correct your form substantially in the middle of the gym, and show you what you were doing vs what you SHOULD be doing.

 

Filming is less publicly embarrassing, but just as helpful!

wheezer
Joshua Naterman said:

only to have your girlfriend come over and correct your form substantially in the middle of the gym, and show you what you were doing vs what you SHOULD be doing.

 

Dude that is learning the harrrd way!

Keilani Gutierrez

I agree on this. I filmed myself doing the Week 6 programming a few times and I was only doing Deck Squats with okay form and I' saw my mobility in SLS/PE1>iM can actually be a lot better. 

 

Swivel hips are still at the same place(which annoys the $@^*@# out of me) 

 

the only thing holding me together at this point is the resolve that if Coach's athletes are performing the elements on the videos instead of animated stick figures and this one statement "to rebuild the house is going to take a lot less time than the time it took to break it down)

 

pride swallowed, put the work and do nothing but work the best I can. 

stan

What program do you use for video recording? (I'm on Windows 7)

Keilani Gutierrez

I use the webcam on my laptop

Kiyu

Yeah, the webcam on the laptop is good enough.

stan

The webcam is good, but what application do you use to click the 'start recording' button and to save the video? I found a program called VirtualDub which does the job but is a little too complicated and I don't see any standard Windows tool to do it.

Kiyu
stan said:

The webcam is good, but what application do you use to click the 'start recording' button and to save the video? I found a program called VirtualDub which does the job but is a little too complicated and I don't see any standard Windows tool to do it.

Oh. My laptop already came with the Lenovo YouCam software. I woud google for webcam software. Yawcam looks good, though I have never used it.

Adriano Augusto

Freemake Video Converter.

 

You can slowmo your videos :D And all the things that a video editor normally have.

 

Great program.