How to know if I had a good workout ?

Started by MrPuppeh, April 15, 2013 · 6 Replies · 13,717 Views

MrPuppeh

Hi !

 

The question is about muscle soreness also. I have read that if you have muscle soreness the next day then that does not mean that your workout was successful ( in terms of building muscle strength and/or size ).

 

For example I trained pullups for about a half a year and i was always stuck between 12-15 reps( fast reps with momentum involved because i was not so educated back then) . But i did brake down the muscle tissue and it did got repaired but why I was stuck in that exact same number pattern.

 

(Well now im doing the F1 and H1 course carefully) 

 

How to know and find out that you are ovetraining or not getting enough sleep or nutrients ?  I have been told to listen to my body but my body does not tell me anything - He just sits there,makes me sore and eats my food and does not build my muscle !

 

If someone answers my this question then i will be very happy. 

 

 

Thank you !

Joshua Naterman

Painful soreness is an indication of extensive damage, and is not necessarily a sign that you're going to get stronger or bigger. It just means you did WAY more work than your body was ready for!

 

If you follow F1, you should probably start with the 4 day program. You should notice improvements every week or two, even if you can't go straight from week 3 to week 4 (for example). As an example, I probably spent the first 4 weeks of RC PE1 doing the same reps, and the same sets, and I couldn't do more. However, I was getting better at the movement. My form was cleaning up, and I was developing more control, and better form typically costs more energy. Now I'm almost at Mastery and it's been maybe 9-10 weeks total. 2-3 more weeks and I'll have moved on.

 

If you do exactly what Coach put into the template, and no more, you will have performed a good workout and you WILL progress. Have faith. Progress is not always an extra rep, sometimes it is the same reps (or even 1 less) with better form.

MrPuppeh
Joshua Naterman said:

Painful soreness is an indication of extensive damage, and is not necessarily a sign that you're going to get stronger or bigger. It just means you did WAY more work than your body was ready for!

 

If you follow F1, you should probably start with the 4 day program. You should notice improvements every week or two, even if you can't go straight from week 3 to week 4 (for example). As an example, I probably spent the first 4 weeks of RC PE1 doing the same reps, and the same sets, and I couldn't do more. However, I was getting better at the movement. My form was cleaning up, and I was developing more control, and better form typically costs more energy. Now I'm almost at Mastery and it's been maybe 9-10 weeks total. 2-3 more weeks and I'll have moved on.

 

If you do exactly what Coach put into the template, and no more, you will have performed a good workout and you WILL progress. Have faith. Progress is not always an extra rep, sometimes it is the same reps (or even 1 less) with better form.

Your the Man, Josh. 

Thanks !

Alex Chubb

Improvement (better form, added reps, further progression, even as little as a slightly longer TUT in the next workout) will let you know you had a good workout if your recovery is in line.

Nic Branson

Lower perceived exertion....

This is often over looked. Performing the same movement for the same reps or time with good form and it feeling noticeably easier is a great way to know. That is one of the best signs. Harder is not always better.

Dr. Durden

If you feel happy afterwards - then you had a good workout

Bissen

I've you improved on anything from last workout, it was good.