This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Swivel Hips - revisited

Started by Michael Taylor, April 14, 2013 · 9 Replies · 541 Views

Michael Taylor

I have moved on from this progression, but have kept Swivel Hips as a regular in my warmup circuits

I have found that the movement has grown richer with time, and continues to be of benefit to my hips

One cue that has helped me is to imagine a length of string between the knees. As the first knee moves out and down to the floor, this string is taughtened. By imagining that it is the tension of this string that causes my second knee to rotate in and down (and by 'pulling out' as I move in to keep this "tension"), I have found that I can keep my hips much squarer, my gluteus more firmly on the deck, and the whole move just feels better

FritsMB
Michael Taylor said:

I have found that the movement has grown richer with time, and continues to be of benefit to my hips.

 

Yes, I like this movement too. I have found though that I am limited not by muscle or tendon tightness but simply by how my femur fits in my pelvis (compression). After having  discovered that I feel a lot more comfortable with the exercise. 

Michael Taylor

Yes, I think I am the same

That is why I think my visualisation helps - it keeps my joints lined up where they want to be as I rotate through the hip

MvdB

This is THE hardest iM exercise for me. It's frustrating because I'm naturally very responsive to flexibility/mobility exercises. I'm not sure how to improve my ROM on this one.

Michael Taylor

Michaël,

I was the same to start, and felt as if I were 'cramping' my hips at the joint

My tactic as above seems to keep all the moving joints at constant angles through the ROM and this really helped open it up for me

MvdB

I just found out that when I keep my feet at a 90 degree angle with my lower leg, my ROM increases significantly (if I leave my foot passively on the floor during the movement, my knee twists a little - not a nice feeling - and that seemed to be the limiting factor).

 

:D

Cory Fair
Michael Taylor said:

I have moved on from this progression, but have kept Swivel Hips as a regular in my warmup circuits

I have found that the movement has grown richer with time, and continues to be of benefit to my hips

 

 

 

Swivel hips specifically was used by Coach at practice yesterday as part of the elite guys' warmup.  :)

Keilani Gutierrez

would there be any positive side effect of working on Medial and Minimus Glute strength with the sPL/PE>iM 2, for example to help Internal rotation development? because I just tested myself and compared to the last video, im at the exact same place. 

Cannister

As a bit of a warm-up before actually performing swivel hips sometimes I performs a few reps where I let the glute of the side I'm pressing to the floor lift as much as it needs to in order for the knee to touch the ground.  This is different than what is prescribed but I find that it helps loosen my hips up before I try in earnest.

Samui

I do swivel hips although I have already processed to elevated planche leans. I just do them in addition to the current element(which is insanely good for hips & glutes). I don't feel swivel hips much anymore but when I first started I was shocked how effective the element was B)