Enhancements perhaps?

Started by Systemic, April 14, 2013 · 6 Replies · 2,774 Views

Systemic

Well I have started a NEW routine about 3 weeks ago. Things to bare in mind is that I did not have a straddle planche before this. The routine contains Cardio, flexibility and strength development mostly. This is what I do:

Early morning HIIT:

Beachbody's insanity (currently on Week 3)

Mid day workout session:

Elevated full Planche holds on parallets (my legs are usually on a chair about 40 or 30 cm high) - 30 seconds 3-5 sets

L-sits on rings - 30 seconds 3-5 sets

Handstand facing a wall on parallets - 30 seconds 3-5 sets

Deadhang - 30 seconds 3-5 sets

Dips on rings - 5 sets 10 reps

Pull ups - 5 sets 10 reps

Ring rows - 5 sets 10 reps

Handstand push ups - 5 sets 10 reps

Military push ups - 5 sets 10 reps

Diamond push ups - 5 sets 10 reps

I usually rest 3 minutes between each sets. Sometimes when I am not in the mood I turn them into super sets. E.g (planche hold + pull ups) it cuts back on time. I do this 3 days a week.

Yes I know that this is might be counter productive but I took a week off because I had some issues I needed to deal with. I wanted to try a straddle planche hold before I started working out again and I was surprised that i was able to hold it for 3 seconds. Sure its not a lot but this is a great enhancement to a guy who only had an advanced tuck planche for a few seconds.

I am basically writing this to ask if I should increase it to 4 days a week. I am looking to have MASSIVE strength gains as well as muscle gains and tone. (I do realize that toning would mean a lower bodyfat, thats why I'm doing Insanity and I've seen some good results.)

I started to consume about 170g of whey protein. I weigh around 65 kg.

I am only looking for help in gaining lean muscle and massive strength. Please refrain from telling me something blunt and unneeded.

Bipocni

The most obvious thing to do would be to include front lever work.

Systemic
Bipocni said:

The most obvious thing to do would be to include front lever work.

I actually have! But I didn't want to include that since I started including it RECENTLY. What I do is I support my legs on a chair and hold the front lever for 20 seconds. Usually for 3-5 sets. I found that I HAVE enhanced but not massively with the front lever.

Bipocni

Okay well for lean muscle I'd probably grab a barbell, do military press, deadlifts and front squats......

 

For massive strength, start working your rows with the false grip, switch out your dead hangs for german hangs - building up to muscle ups and a back lever respectively. Include some skin the cats.  I don't know if your handstand pushups are full ROM, but you have a set of parallettes, so if you're not already do full ROM handstand pushups on them. You didn't mention ANY leg work, so add some pistol squats and NLC progressions (ring straps around a table are a good ghetto start.)  Probably should start some human flag and manna work, judging from coaches Foundation series.

 

Which begs the question; If you want massive strength, why not just do the foundation series?

Systemic

The HIIT is actually mostly lower body work outs (explosiveness, plyometrics and circuit training). I thought I read in the BtGB book that we shouldn't really be using weights. I would love to add some weight training to my routine. Also, on somedays I can get up to 10 muscle ups (no kip) and somedays I can't even do 1 muscle up. I don't know if my technique stinks or what's the matter exactly.

Excuse my vagueness, I meant german hang/skin the cat not deadhangs. Excuse me.

 

Is there anything more I can add? I am incorporating Coach's Foundation series to my workout and so far so good. My straddle planche holds are increasing in time which is good.

Dr. Durden
Systemic said:

Well I have started a NEW routine about 3 weeks ago. Things to bare in mind is that I did not have a straddle planche before this. The routine contains Cardio, flexibility and strength development mostly. This is what I do:

Early morning HIIT:

Beachbody's insanity (currently on Week 3)

Mid day workout session:

Elevated full Planche holds on parallets (my legs are usually on a chair about 40 or 30 cm high) - 30 seconds 3-5 sets

L-sits on rings - 30 seconds 3-5 sets

Handstand facing a wall on parallets - 30 seconds 3-5 sets

Deadhang - 30 seconds 3-5 sets

Dips on rings - 5 sets 10 reps

Pull ups - 5 sets 10 reps

Ring rows - 5 sets 10 reps

Handstand push ups - 5 sets 10 reps

Military push ups - 5 sets 10 reps

Diamond push ups - 5 sets 10 reps

I usually rest 3 minutes between each sets. Sometimes when I am not in the mood I turn them into super sets. E.g (planche hold + pull ups) it cuts back on time. I do this 3 days a week.

Yes I know that this is might be counter productive but I took a week off because I had some issues I needed to deal with. I wanted to try a straddle planche hold before I started working out again and I was surprised that i was able to hold it for 3 seconds. Sure its not a lot but this is a great enhancement to a guy who only had an advanced tuck planche for a few seconds.

I am basically writing this to ask if I should increase it to 4 days a week. I am looking to have MASSIVE strength gains as well as muscle gains and tone. (I do realize that toning would mean a lower bodyfat, thats why I'm doing Insanity and I've seen some good results.)

I started to consume about 170g of whey protein. I weigh around 65 kg.

I am only looking for help in gaining lean muscle and massive strength. Please refrain from telling me something blunt and unneeded.

 

Why do you practice this kind of planche hold? Why not tucked or straddle (if you really are strong enough)?

 

Adding a fourth day wont make you buff. If you merely wanna gain mass hit the weights - it's much easier using weights.

If you still wanna pursue GST and BW training, then choose fewer and harder exercises.

 

3 times a week:

  • warm up+prep
  • skill work - if you have a sPL, its about time you get your handstand!
  • statics/straight arm (strength work - avoid fatique)
  • One (maybe two) blocks of Escelated Density Training (google it) supersetting for example HSPU and chins (include EDT block Mondays and fridays)
  • Cooldown+prehap+stretch

 

 

On the other hand - if you can do 10 mucles ups, no kip some days and other days, you can't do a single one - then the program you've lined up is "all in your head" and not what you actually train. Maybe it would be a good idea to invest money in a trainer...

 

 

Bipocni said:

Okay well for lean muscle I'd probably grab a barbell, do military press, deadlifts and front squats......

 

For massive strength, start working your rows with the false grip, switch out your dead hangs for german hangs - building up to muscle ups and a back lever respectively. Include some skin the cats.  I don't know if your handstand pushups are full ROM, but you have a set of parallettes, so if you're not already do full ROM handstand pushups on them. You didn't mention ANY leg work, so add some pistol squats and NLC progressions (ring straps around a table are a good ghetto start.)  Probably should start some human flag and manna work, judging from coaches Foundation series.

 

Which begs the question; If you want massive strength, why not just do the foundation series?

Because he's too strong for F1

Peekay

You're doing all this AND F1?!  :blink: