This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 090119

Started by Coach Sommer, January 19, 2009 · 8 Replies · 2,278 Views

Coach Sommer

IAGMcEoDbg0

Complete 3 giant sets of each of the following:

Embedded BL (1-2 reps) + Yewkis (3-5 reps)

Embedded PL (1-2 reps) + Erbs (3-5 reps)

Embedded FL (1-2 reps) + Russian Leg Lifts (3-5 reps)

Finish with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

notes:

Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the subsequent exercise.

Rest 1-2 minutes in between giant sets.

If any of the specified movements are too difficult, scale them appropriately according to the pertinent essay.

Chris Hobbs

Coach,

Last time we did the series of PL/FL/BL static holds we paired them differently than presented here (e.g. BL with RLL last time verus with FL on today's WOD).

In the book you suggest to pair BL with pulling variations and FL with pressing variations - I presume those pairings were the "appropriate" ones that were mentioned in the paragraph above those examples.

So, can you elaborate on the deviations from those pairings in the WODs? Should they always be rotated in some manner or is there not really an appropritate pairing?

Also, the Erbs look to be predicated on being able to do a planche pushup. For those of us still in the frog stand variations in our planche progression how should we modify the exercise or what would we substitute?

Thanks!

- Chris

Coach Sommer

Click on the exercises listed in the WOD and it will take you to an essay with the appropriate progressions or variations.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

gymrob

Chobbs,

I think I'm right in saying that the pairing is as described in the rest of the WOD's. Planche is normally paired with pushing which is erbs in this case. Back lever is with pulling (yewkis) and front lever with the core (russian leg lift).This is the standard format I'm pretty sure.

As with the planche push up point, I think you meant Erbs instead of Yewkis but I'm sorry to say I dont know what to suggest if on frog stand prgression. Perhaps Head-stand lowered to frog stand as a negative motion and if strong enough complete a concentric motion? But tucking between the Headstand and frog stand will make it easier.

Hope this helps a bit. :)

Chris Hobbs

gymrob ... yeah, I meant erbs. I mis-typed it and edited it just now, thanks for catching. As for the pairings, I wouldn't have asked if they were consistent. Since they weren't I was hoping to hear why they were changing so when it comes time to design a program around my needs I will be able to make the proper decision(s). Example of differences:

WOD 010908

========

PL + MU

BL + RLL

FL + L-sit

WOD 081229

=========

BL + row

PL + pushup

FL + HLL

Coach, yes I saw the links to the essays they help out a lot with many of these exercises. However the erbs seem to be predicated on being able to complete a planche pushup variation and I am not yet to that point. Would I just do negatives or is there a better starting place or exercise substitute?

- Chris

Travis

chobbs, I think that the only reason the 010908 WOD is different is because the MU combines pull and press. Rather than putting two static exercises before the MU, he simply kept planche and added the back lever before the RLL. Since there were two core exercises, he could do this. As far as I know, all other workouts conform to the same standard.

Coach Sommer

Negatives are a great idea. Also, it is quite acceptable to substitute another MPPr variation of your choice if all of the Erb variations are beyond your current level of strength.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Chris Hobbs

Thanks Coach and Travis.

- Chris

Nobodystopsdblob

I am playing catch up because of the long weekend.

WOD

Complete 3 giant sets of each of the following:

Embedded BL (1-2 reps) tucked flat back 10 sec x 2+ Yewkis (3-5 reps) tucked flat back 5

Embedded PL Straight arm frog 12 sec x 2 (1-2 reps) + Erbs (3-5 reps) tucked head stand to tucked pl, no push up x 5

Embedded FL tucked flat back 8 sec x 2 (1-2 reps) + Russian Leg Lifts

leg lifts x 5

Finish with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

Snatch 1 x 3 (skipped) back of shoulder felt weak

Back squat 2 x 2 315