Today i achieved a muscleup on the rings - The first muscleup of any kind for me. It wasn't pretty and it was a kip but it was awesome, almost surreal. Ive been wanting this for 6 months and even as of last week it still felt so far away. Im sharing this not for congratulations bit for inspiration and motivation to others.
I've been working on this for about 6 months and I've failed every single time i tried. The crazy thing is that after the first, i was able to do 5 more throughout the day. What does that tell you? Did i increase my strength suddenly? it shows that learning how to get through the transition is very technical but once you do feel it, it becomes much easier.
A few things that helped me dramatically was understanding the false grip and also understanding what to do with my legs.
The false grip - prior to today i don't think I was aggressive enough i holding this. I would just sorta fall out of it, or slide back into a regular grip. But today i made a decision that i was gonna have a death grip on it and deal with any pain or awkwardness.
Another thing is high Pullups. I never focused on how deep or high my Pull-ups were, in fact I didnt even practice them on a traditional bar, my gum had 2 overhead handles. But if i could go back, i would def focus on high Pullups. i could do weighted Pull-ups with 70lbs but i was only pulling to chin level. I realized that its much more beneficial to use less weight and get higher clavicle and above as high as you can.
Another important part for the rings is to keep everything tight close to body/chest and the roll over the hands.
Josh's video Is great and also there are some good ones to teach the kip. i watched about every video out there so feel free to PM ME WITH ANY QUESTIONS.
Don't give up, you will get it. If you work hard and believe in it, theres no way you can fail.