This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Completely Straight Fingers During FTP excersises?

Started by rsims, April 14, 2013 · 4 Replies · 422 Views

rsims

Hello all!

 

I've been intrigued by this site for about a year now and just decided to purchase H1 and F1. 

 

My issue is if my fingers are completely straight (no bend either direction), my middle finger is the longest, which translates into it being the only finger under load if done perfectly. In the videos it seems that they use the pointer and ring finger as support, while slightly hyper extending their middle finger.  

 

My question is, should the middle finger bend to include the pointer and ring finger during the hold/ reps, or should you be doing them completely straight with all tension on only your middle finger?

 

Thanks!

HamdiC

Hey rsims, I have the same issue. I was doing the exercises on a hard surface, but moved to doing them on a carpet, which helps as the long fingers can sink in a bit and the shorter ones still touch (the dude in the video does them on a mat which seems a little soft and has some give). But I still have the same question as you... the only way to really load my ring and index fingers is to have a bend in my middle finger. Also, I have very very flexible, I guess hyper extendable fingers, and it seems impossible to load them up with any weight without them bending.

rsims

Thanks HamdiC.  I agree with you on the carpet, it seems to be easier with a soft surface.  Still unsure on position though, ill just do them with the three fingers and a slight bend for now.  It seems to be the same as the guy in the video

prinny

I'd have to agree with you too rsims.  After reading your post, I zoomed in on the still pictures and their middle finger is definitely bent.  Which is good, I couldn't imagine doing this with just the middle fingers  :D

hukka
HamdiC said:

Hey rsims, I have the same issue. I was doing the exercises on a hard surface, but moved to doing them on a carpet, which helps as the long fingers can sink in a bit and the shorter ones still touch (the dude in the video does them on a mat which seems a little soft and has some give). But I still have the same question as you... the only way to really load my ring and index fingers is to have a bend in my middle finger. Also, I have very very flexible, I guess hyper extendable fingers, and it seems impossible to load them up with any weight without them bending.

How do you that with the wall ones?

 

It seems that the PE1 is fairly doable for me with just the middle finger (at least in the starting weeks it does not even bend, maybe I should actually check for mastery and not just assume i can't). But i'm quite sure the PE2 will be next to impossible at least in the beginning with just one finger, so it's either bending or somehow getting a soft wall (and i'd rather stay out of mental hospitals :)).