This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Is Back lever going to be covered in Foundation ?

Started by MrPuppeh, April 11, 2013 · 23 Replies · 1,074 Views

MrPuppeh

It is not mentioned among the 7 exercises ( FL, sPL, Mn, HBP, SLS, SL, RC ).

 

Is it going to be covered in one of the foundation products?

 

I havent seen any questions about it so I assume that you already know the answer to this one. 

I heard that Back lever will help in the training of planche - Is that correct ?

 

Therefore I assume that it could come in the sPL progressions, right ?

FredInChina

We'll know very soon; in fact as soon as F2-4 are released :)

If really it is not covered (which would be a surprise), there is ample information about the progressions to BL in BtGB book & many threads of the forum to work out something when we are halfway through the F series. No need to worry now.

Jon Douglas

I'd be surprised if it weren't there. I think it's more likely to be in side lever for its lower back component, but I could also see it in FL or SPl for it's straight arm component.

Time will tell, I guess.

Freeflyer

I would be surprised if it is not progression in SL, especially the way SL has been looking so far.  It is possible for sPL as well, since Coach always said BL was a prereq to begin PL training.

Either way, I would expect to see it. 

Christian

Pretty sure it's not covered. Guessing it will come when/if a ring foundation is released.

Joshua Slocum

As has been mentioned, it could very well show up in the sPL or SL progressions. If it doesn't show up, after finishing F4 you'll have no trouble at all learning the hold. If it's in the hypothetical rings course that follows the foundation series, then expect it to be featured very early on. 

dritar

I'm thinking it's in sPL for the elbow prep and the fact that it's a straight body move where we are attempting to protract.

 

Could be SL as well I dunno. SL is now lower back strength but I'm not sure if it'll keep going on that road or if we'll shift to oblique strength. 

Cole Dano

It's so hard not knowing  :icon_twisted:

dritar

I think we could make a betting pool. It'll bring a smile to the hard working people who are bringing the rest of the foundation series alive atleast and it'll bring a smile later on to failed betters when the products do come out.

 

So I'll start (wild mass guessing follows)

 

Back Lever: Will be in sPL. sPL will include of course the planche progressions but I expect there to be more elements between adv. crowstand and tuck planche. 

 

L-Sit, V-Sit: Will be in manna. We'll see some L-sit variations with movements perhaps, some L-sit lifts.

 

Front Lever after adressing the hollow position will starting including scapula pullups, front pulls and front pulls in their tuck, advanced tucks variations. I expect that we'll see the static position for time immediately follow by front pulls for reps.

 

HBP will keeping going on with dips and will go back with ring pushups, ring support and ring dips then go back to HeSPU and HSPU and finally MPPU. Not sure how some other advanced pushups fit in like Maltese.

 

RC will likely continue with pull up progressions and some curls mixed in with some completely new stuff with actual ropes.

Tomas Johansson

Do you guys think that we will be able to do a one arm pull-up if we complete the program?

Joshua Slocum
Tomas Johansson said:

Do you guys think that we will be able to do a one arm pull-up if we complete the program?

There's an element of skill in the OAP/OAC that you will still need to train. Most likely you'll have all the necessary strength and control though.

Jon Douglas
dritar said:

I think we could make a betting pool. It'll bring a smile to the hard working people who are bringing the rest of the foundation series alive atleast and it'll bring a smile later on to failed betters when the products do come out.

 

So I'll start (wild mass guessing follows)

 

Back Lever: Will be in sPL. sPL will include of course the planche progressions but I expect there to be more elements between adv. crowstand and tuck planche. 

 

L-Sit, V-Sit: Will be in manna. We'll see some L-sit variations with movements perhaps, some L-sit lifts.

 

Front Lever after adressing the hollow position will starting including scapula pullups, front pulls and front pulls in their tuck, advanced tucks variations. I expect that we'll see the static position for time immediately follow by front pulls for reps.

 

HBP will keeping going on with dips and will go back with ring pushups, ring support and ring dips then go back to HeSPU and HSPU and finally MPPU. Not sure how some other advanced pushups fit in like Maltese.

 

RC will likely continue with pull up progressions and some curls mixed in with some completely new stuff with actual ropes.

I'm betting BL in SL progressions.

LSit in sPL (hard one, but I think the straight arm element trumps the core).

Agree with the rest. Imagine that FL and PL will include pullups and pushups where appropriate to build the hold.

MrPuppeh

So no one really knows.

 

as far as F1 i see the Side lever progressions are the closest to BL

FredInChina

hehehe, the best part is that as soon as the info is out, everyone will facepalm because it was so obvious... then within 2 days, some will have known all along and will even suggest improvements to the program...

:wacko:

 

 

I have 100% faith in human nature! :P

MrPuppeh
FredInChina said:

hehehe, the best part is that as soon as the info is out, everyone will facepalm because it was so obvious... then within 2 days, some will have known all along and will even suggest improvements to the program...

:wacko:

 

 

I have 100% faith in human nature! :P

what confuses me is that no one has asked this question before. Is Back Lever too hipster for everyone ? :D

FredInChina

LOL, whether you've asked or not, the answers are coming your way - just sit tight :)

Jon Douglas
MrPuppeh said:

what confuses me is that no one has asked this question before. Is Back Lever too hipster for everyone ? :D

It's not in the same league as front lever, and as you mentioned most people regard it as prep for a planche. So I think people are just looking over the top of it.

It's fantastic on the shoulders and spine, it's just easier (for me, and from my understanding most) to rapidly work up to full German hang pulls and reverse cranks than full front pulls and (frontal) cranks.

Keilani Gutierrez
Charm said:

I'd be surprised if it weren't there. I think it's more likely to be in side lever for its lower back component, but I could also see it in FL or SPl for it's straight arm component.

Time will tell, I guess.

I can see L-sit being worked in sPL progressions and from the looks of it and how you've mentioned it, it can go either of two ways. either sPL or SL as I can see it worked along side core(as in abs in conjunction with lower back)

i'm actually really excited to work German Hangs and BL

Hercules

Coach has said the only purpose of the BL is gymnastics is to condition the biceps tendon for more advanced GST elements. Though so far as where it will be in the series... don't have a clue in the world. I can't see it not being there. I do have a 5 second straddle BL - though I shouldn't kid myself in to thinking that's up to foundation level standards.

Joshua Slocum
Hercules said:

Coach has said the only purpose of the BL is gymnastics is to condition the biceps tendon for more advanced GST elements. Though so far as where it will be in the series... don't have a clue in the world. I can't see it not being there. I do have a 5 second straddle BL - though I shouldn't kid myself in to thinking that's up to foundation level standards.

How do you expect to wrestle the Nemean Lion into submission with a 5s straddled back lever?  :P

 

The back lever isn't just to condition the biceps tendon. It's a good exercise for shoulders and chest; it shares a bit of overlap with the planche. 

wheezer
Cole Dano said:

It's so hard not knowing  :icon_twisted:

 

How would you know? :P

Hercules
Hari_Seldon said:

How do you expect to wrestle the Nemean Lion into submission with a 5s straddled back lever?  :P

 

The back lever isn't just to condition the biceps tendon. It's a good exercise for shoulders and chest; it shares a bit of overlap with the planche. 

Through unfair play.

I like my greek heroes - but lack any creativity. At least you're honest so far as your name goes.

But with foundation - I can predict the future as well as you can so far as probabilistic terms go. I reckon Hari could wrestle the lion... fancy a swap?

Joshua Slocum
Hercules said:

Through unfair play.

I like my greek heroes - but lack any creativity. At least you're honest so far as your name goes.

But with foundation - I can predict the future as well as you can so far as probabilistic terms go. I reckon Hari could wrestle the lion... fancy a swap?

 

I think it would be very confusing if we swapped names. Unfortunately 4/1 already passed...

B1214N

I think anyone or most people who can hold both a front lever and planche would automatically be able to hold a back lever on the first try. Coach also said that the BL helps with the FL too not just planche.