I had an injury last year that built a significant amount of scar tissue over the first knuckle on one of my middle fingers. Since then the range of motion in extension has been decreased. I strive to get to a perfect 90, but I don't think I'll be able anytime soon due to it. Would it be alright if I continued to progress onto the later elements with less than preferred ROM?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Limited range of motion on first knuckle pushups
Started by Eric Cohen, April 10, 2013 · 4 Replies · 260 Views
How many weeks have you been performing FKP/PE1 for? I've been working PE1 since H1 released and I've improved but I have a hell of a long way to go till I get full ROM.
I can't speak for your individual situation/condition but some of the wrist work you may need to take a longer term view on... it simply won't change in a few days or weeks if you're starting with a really big deficit. On the other hand you say you strive for a perfect 90deg which makes it sound like you're not that far off...
I'll be on PE1 for a long time but that's ok because I'll have full ROM when I'm done with it... I hope
cirenehoc said:Would it be alright if I continued to progress onto the later elements with less than preferred ROM?
No. The later elements should have 90º aswell (besides more load on your knuckles), so it is nonsense progressing withouth achieve 90º on the very first progression.
If it matters, I'm on the same PE since I bought HS1.
Alright, I'll try it for a full 12 week cycle to see if I can make any improvement. It just feels a little off since my other hand can achieve the full 90.
cirenehoc said:Alright, I'll try it for a full 12 week cycle to see if I can make any improvement. It just feels a little off since my other hand can achieve the full 90.
Good plan! Don't give up. Progress might be slow because of your injury, but you'll prevail. If after this 12 cycle the progress is minimal, then run another one! I have a plate in my ulna and it took me 7 months post surgery to be able to do things on flat palms. And even then, I had to keep the volume frustratingly low with prehab everyday. It took until 12 months post-surgery that I could really handle large amount of volume pain free and with confidence. So don't despair - just keep working at it! I also had the wierd feeling of one hand being better than the other. No biggie.