What tumbling mat to get?

Started by Theodore Bushnell, January 18, 2009 · 4 Replies · 4,061 Views

Theodore Bushnell

I was looking at gymnastic mats that could be used for some basic tumbling, FBEs and FSPs. I work out in my garage and space is somewhat limited. I am trying to figure out the most useful dimensions for the mat (4'x8', 5'x10'...) as well as the appropriate thickness (1 3/8" vs 2" vs ?). I probably will spring for the velcro all around.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

ted.

Coach Sommer

I am currently considering putting in a small workout area at home also. My personal preference for home gym matting is;

http://www.matsmatsmats.com/wrestling/

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Theodore Bushnell

Thanks coach. If you were to choose a folding gymnastic mat any suggestions regarding thickness of the mat? I have to share the garage with my wife"s car, so I think I will need to use the folding type of mat. It seems the main decision I have to make is whether 1 3/8" is enough thickness/padding or whether 2" is better.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Cheers,

ted.

Coach Sommer

2" would be best.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Theodore Bushnell

Thanks for the feedback.

ted.