This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Ground row standard

Started by Mark Collins, April 9, 2013 · 33 Replies · 2,010 Views

Coach Sommer
Mark Collins said:

... What I like about this program is that it highlights your weaknesses. I get the feeling that once these weakness get addressed my body will advance a lot quicker. I am starting to feel the beginning of that now. Everything is inter-related ...

 

... And in the darkness a light began to shine.   :icon_cool:

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Mark Collins
Coach Sommer said:
... And in the darkness a light began to shine.   :icon_cool:

 

And I am only a beginner beginner. How will it be when I get to advanced beginner!

SuperBru

I'm absolutely loving this exercise at the moment! It's really hard but I love the hard stuff! The tempo is absolutely crazy!

Peekay
Super Saiyan said:

I'm absolutely loving this exercise at the moment! It's really hard but I love the hard stuff! The tempo is absolutely crazy!

Feels good doesn't it! I used to be all about pull ups, but a couple of months doing these correctly and i feel so solid :D   

dritar

Just did 5x6 which I thought were decent with good tempo and retraction at the top. Having actual rings is much better than using strange substitutions for this. 

 

Anyone else feel like they lose some "power" after doing the first Twisting Lat Stretch ? Is this stretch in there to minimize stretch reflex at the bottom of the row ? If so, its genius :).

Sven Ravnstag

This movement really captures the spirit of the Foundation Series for me.  When I first did it, I was eager to just bang out 5X15 and move on to something more worthy of my fitness level.  That didn't happen, and almost two months later I'm still on them.  In that time I've learned to touch my thumbs to my chest with every rep, gotten very good at (while learning to really enjoy) the iM, and, partly due to all of the scapula pushups I've been doing (along with the Planche leans I'm still on), I've begun taking my shoulders/scapula through a huge ROM from the bottom of each rep to the top.

 

For a while I was concerned that I was staying a a given rep scheme for too many weeks (I lingered at 4X6reps for what seemed like forever), then within the last two weeks I've bumped up to 3X9 and 1X7 almost out of nowhere.  My best session ever (where I set the latest PR) was one in which I was particularly fastidious with form.  F1 keeps reteaching me how valuable each one of these skills are, and for the first time in my training career I can honestly say that the concept of milking every stage for everything it's worth (as opposed to making a mad-dash for the end of the program, which I've done since I was about 12 years old) is finally sinking in.

Marcus Patterson

Quick question on form. How long do you need to hold at the top position for this progression?

Henning Blom 243536

Yes, I wonder that too. I usually pause at the top for 2ish seconds before lowering down, but they don't stop on the follow along videos, so is it ok to pause, or will it just hinder progress?  

Everett Carroll

Just stick with the follow along video, @Marcus Patterson and@Henning Blom 243536 , and all will be good. You don't need an exceptionally long pause at the top.