Overstretching?

Started by Daniel Burnham, April 9, 2013 · 8 Replies · 3,464 Views

Daniel Burnham

Hey guys,

 

I have been getting good results with my stretching program which consists of a little pnf/dynamic and a tad of static stretching at the beginning of practice and then a longer static and pnf session after practice (20 min).  Recently I have been backtracking rather than progressing.  It is starting to get hard and I feel like I have run miles on my legs.  This is more apparent in the pancake stretch which I have also started active strength for my stalder press.  I can still force myself into position but feel this is counter productive.  It is starting to get in the way of training.  

 

Has anyone experienced this when adding more active elements.  I was doing this for 3 weeks just fine.  I actually deloaded last week including not pushing hard on stretching but it didn't improve.  Am I overstretching or what?

 

 

gravy

yes. and if something gets in the way of training that means you need to change what you're doing.

FredInChina

I think it is okay, progress is not linear, especially for flexibility, and maybe you've overdone it a little bit.

Maybe if you just keep a little bit of dynamic stretching in your warm up, and a little bit of limbering after training for a week or two, (or until the DOMS/pain in your limbs have subsided, or until after deload ==>> you've been at it for 3 weeks, right?), you'll be surprised by where you are at during that next hard stretching session.

Take your time, and easing it up at this moment is maybe just what you need to convert your efforts into visible results :)

Joshua Naterman

Generally the longer stretches will be a bit gentler, close to but not at the complete end ROM. I have also found that, at least in my experience, it helps for these to be more passive in nature.

 

There is always the possibility that tightness somewhere else, due to active work, could be holding you back...

I think that KIt would probably have the most useful input for you.

Daniel Burnham

Im guessing it is from the stalder work since I don't experience this in any other stretch besides pancake.  Ill lay off that work and continue stretching to see if that helps.  I just enjoy doing stalder presses so much now that I have them.

Joshua Slocum

I don't like doing static stretching (and definitely not PNF stretching) before my workout. It makes my muscles feel fatigued and week. My warmup is generally some cardio and then light dynamic stretching to get loose.

 

If you are stretching effectively, you won't want to stretch a given position more than 2-3 times a week. Are you stretching pancakes more frequently than that? If so, it could be that you aren't giving your muscles enough time to recover. 

Daniel Burnham

I was static stretching pretty much everyday except for the weekend. My warmup stretches are pretty light. Definitely not fatiguing.

Joshua Slocum
Daniel Burnham said:

I was static stretching pretty much everyday except for the weekend. My warmup stretches are pretty light. Definitely not fatiguing.

 

I would cut down on the long sessions after practice. Some short-medium length static stretching is fine, but I'd only do heavy PNF when you feel like you've recovered from the previous session. 

Alessandro Mainente

i remember i did static passive stretching 4 times in one day in the last year due to 4 separate breakdance school lesson. i was teaching some basic stretching but at the end of the 4th lesson i wasn't able to move without feel pain in my entire back..

i went to the hospital they made an intra muscular injection and from that day i relax one time day if i have to to only passive stretch...