This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

foundation 1: barefoot exercise & ankle problems + another question

Started by Angelo85, April 8, 2013 · 8 Replies · 368 Views

Angelo85

Hello everyone.

 

I've not started yet the course; but I've already purchased it and I'll start as soon as I get all the equipement. After a look, I have two question.

 

1) I have not an optimal flexibility in my left ankle because of a trauma i get into years ago (I can do full 1 leg squat with both legs, but I need to wear shoes for the left; and with the left I also lean my back forward too much).

I want to start again from the beginning, for build a more solid and healty 1 leg squat, following the course instruction. Here is my doubt:

I've seen in the photos of the 1 leg series the guys always barefoot. What if I need to wear shoes because of my small problem? Do I compromise a lot the correct progression?

 

2) I've not well understood this: if I master a certain preparatory element exercise, but not the paired integrated mobility exercise, should I:

a) move on to the next level with the preparatory element and stay to the lower level of the integrated mobility exercise? or

b) not move to the next level of the preparatory element exercise until also the integrated mobility exercise is mastered?

 

Thank you.

Joshua Naterman

Whether you wear shoes or not is your choice. Some of the iM exercises will be best performed barefoot.

 

F1 explains how to move on from one exercise to the next, but the suggested approach is to master both the iM and the PE before moving on.

Angelo85

Thank you very much.

 

I'd love to do everything barefoot, but without shoes I will raise my left heel.

Flameous

Depending on your trauma, it may be reversible and that's exactly what taking your time with iM is going to do.

Of course if you broke bones and have metal in the ankle or such, there's not much to do. But most tendon/ligament related problems are reversible with time... long time.

Angelo85

Maybe it's reversible! because some months ago I tried to train the flexibility and it definitely improved.

But I think I would need years to regain the flexibility I need to do a fine 1 leg squat...and in the meantime, I'd like to workout!

SoyeBoy

I have a similiar problem myself in that I have suspected bony equinis in both ankles which I believe is limiting dorsiflexion (cannot get knees to track past ankles when squatting with heels flat on the ground). I can do sets of five single leg squats with a heel lift however.

I'll see how it goes as I progress through the series - hopefully it's reversible!

Angelo85

Hi SoyeBoy!

Can you do deck squats?

In this days I've tried.. and, I don't know if it is for the ankle or for some other reason, but it's very hard for me to roll in the squat position. There are many treads which discuss this, I know.. but it's a puzzle for me..

As you I can do many 1 leg squat, really slow and really controlled as well. So I guess I'll train my legs with some extra work during the progression..

SoyeBoy

I can "do" deck squats in that I tried them for the first time a few days ago and was able to land some with not so optimal form, so no mastery yet. You mentioned that you can perform 1 legged squats? In that case it does not sound like the issue that I have given that I can only perform that movement with a heel lift.

Angelo85

Sorry, I intended with running shoes..that makes my squats with hells lifted as well.

Legs are maybe the strongest part of my body..so it's disappointing that I have to progress trough the serie "just" because of ability problems. Buy I guess that this is exactly the spirit of gymnastics training..because of that I'll apply anyway..