Hello Friends,
Around 4 weeks ago I managed a complete tear of the ACL in my right knee. Landing a twisting element on a straight leg.
At the time I didn't realise how bad it was, and my knee started to get better of the course of the next 3 weeks, until I started to feel pretty good.
I went to the physio after 3 weeks just to be sure it wasn't screwed, so I could get the all clear for training, and he wasn't happy with its stability in one of the tests, and then an MRI confirmed a complete ACL tear.
Currently I have no private health insurance. The only way for me to fund an ACL reconstruction is with a bank loan of around 8k. Or it's the public health system waiting list.
However, like I said, I didn't actually realise I had torn it, I can run and jump, I can land I can hop, I've done a couple backflips and my knee was fine.
I spoke to the sports doctor and she said some individuals can persist without an ACL without trouble, however it's a massive roll of the dice I don't want to blow out my knee completely.
I am a professional acrobat and I have a couple of gigs booked on the teeterboard in 2 months, so I guess what Im asking is does anyone have experience with ACL tears? How was your knee? Dig you get the surgery? Do you know someone who has an ACL tear who is still performing on it?
Lastly, what is a good knee brace, if I don't have my ACL, I would at least like a good brace.
Thanks,
Thomas