This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Gymnastics, CF and ME experience by RF_Guy

Started by Alexander Kornishev, January 16, 2009 · 37 Replies · 2,937 Views

Alexander Kornishev

Feb 12, 2009

DE Shoulder Press

Shoulder Press from the pins

10x2 @ 95#(55%) 30 sec rest

Gymnastics

WU: Wrists Complex + HS

XR Push-Ups Plus: 10x2

Reversed Yewkis (half lay-out): 8x2

This workout felt very good. DE is a very good opportunity to practice technique (EFS book). I was looking for something similar to Box Squat for Shoulder Press and SP from pins seems to have similar effect when exploding from pins instead of shoulders. I think doing 8-10 sets of 1-2 reps for gymnastics is a way to go for me for now. It gives plenty of opportunities to practice technique and stress muscles at the same time, the key is to find a variation which is not too advanced at the moment. I probably can play with rest period and implement more advanced movements and still keep it in the range of 8-10 sets. I'll have to see.

Anyways, just few weeks ago i was barely able to lift my legs of the bench in XR Push-Ups Plus, but today 10 sets of 2 were easy with 30 sec rest.

I will try to implement steady state approach for all my current gymnastics.

For Heavy Lifts I will implement as much Westside approach as I can. Hmmmm... let's see if it is possible to DL more without DLifting. That means about 60% will be all kinds of GM some BoxS and very little DL on ME day.

BoxS and some DL on DE day. Also I will implement ME and DE days for Shoulder Press.

Alexander Kornishev

Feb 14, 2009

ME(low)

Low Box Squat

x5: 45, 135, 155, 185, 205

x3: 245, 265, 285

x1: 305, 315, 325, 330 (PR by default :D)

Gymnastics

Planche (adv. tucked): 15x4sec

Front lever (foot on ankle): 10x5sec

HeS legs raises: 3x8

I got used to the low bar placement for squat over last 2-3 weeks and now can appreciate how much more comfortable it feels with heavy weight on my back. I used to have marks from the bar after every BS ME, but there was nothing today. Also the lower the bar the more it makes you keep the arch and engage gluts from the beginning because there is no other way to keep the bar fixed. Implementing technique tips from EFS book really helps, I have to keep paying attention. Overall maxing out box squat felt safe and comfortable.

Alexander Kornishev

Feb 15, 2009

ME Shoulders

Shoulder Press

x5: 45, 65, 85

x3: 105, 125, 145

x1: 155, 165, 180 (failed), 175

Gymnastics

HSPU (parallettes, two boxes)

5x2, 5x1

Yewkis(half lay-out)

3x5

WODmetcon

3 rounds for time of:

Row 500 meters

21 Burpees

Run 400 meters

time: 17:52

That was a marathon workout, had to do it in order to catch-up with my planned schedule. For metcon the plan was to do all burpees unbroken which i did and very happy with that as burpees is probably the hardest exercise for me. Rest tomorrow.

Justin Rawley

Hard core stuff, good job.

Alexander Kornishev

Thanks man!

I did not post for awhile, but kept my CF log updated.

Alexander Kornishev

Feb 17, 2009

Morning

DE (low)

Low Box Squats (wide)

10x2 @205#

Gymnastics

12 cycles of Wrist Handstands (I did 25 sec instead of 30 with 45 rest)

Finish with 2 x 10 Wrist Pushups

Doesn't matter where I placed my hands I just was not able to hold 30 sec HS, at 25 shoulders would start to collapse and I would roll forward. Squat technique is improving, I have to remember to bend forward more as I place the bar much lower now.

I still have to do short metcon today.

Evening

7 rounds of Mary:

5 HSPU

10 one legged squat

15 Pull-ups

Alexander Kornishev

Feb 19, 2009

DE Shoulders

Shoulder Press from pins: 95# 10x2

Gymnastics

Rings Support Swings skills practice

360 deg PU: 10x2 (half lay-out)

Metcon

100 rounds of Captain BlueBear (KB 24kg): 23:41

75 rounds in 15 min.

Last 25 rounds were hard.

Alexander Kornishev

Feb 20, 2009

ME

Low Box Squat

x5: 95, 145, 195

x3: 225, 245, 295

x1: 307, 315, 335 (failed)

Rev. Hypers 3x15

I made two mistakes. First I should not do any metcon 48 hours before ME that is longer than 10 min . My legs and lower back were completely beat-up from last KB WOD. Secondly if feeling like today (like crap) I should not go for 1RM PR but try to max out x3 instead. 335 did not feel that heavy, I just did not have any energy to fight the weight and failed half way up. GM/Squat next ME (low).

Alexander Kornishev

Feb 21, 2009

ME

Shoulder Press:

x5 45, 65, 85

x3: 105, 125, 135

x1: 155, 170, 180, 185 (PR, BW+10#)

Gymnastics

F.lever (foot on ankle): 10x5sec

Planche (adv. tucked): 8x4sec

Metcon

Seven rounds for time of:

95 pound Sumo-deadlift high-pull, 10 reps

10 Ring dips

time: 6:21 (PR)

Shoulder Press was very stable today. Technique improvement and strength probably both helped to set a new PR (goal is 200# some day). Technique change was mostly using diaphragm and starting speed. I couldn't finish planche as planned because shoulders gave up after 8 sets.

Same for metcon, all ring dips were unbroken except for last two rounds, last few reps i had to do singles. But anyways PR by 3min10sec. Good day!

Alexander Kornishev

Feb 22, 2009

Metcon

For time:

45 Double-unders

135 pound Squat clean, 45 reps

45 Ring Dips

45 Double-unders

Time: 12:27

I skipped gymnastics, do not have enough time for everything today.

Alexander Kornishev

Feb 24, 2009

Morning

DE

Low Box Squat: 175# 10x2

Gymnastics

XR PPP Plus: 10x2

Sticking out and compress stomack really helps with squat and SP. I can feel better connection between hips and the bar that way. Moving butt even more back until hips touch belly (even with wide stand) creates better torso angle and engages lower back/glutes more. I am keeping grip somewhere in between wide and narrow for now to avoid pain in elbows but still narrow enough to create "Muscle pillow".

XR PPP+ I tried to do very still today and barely touching ribs on sides.

Evening

wanted to work out in the evening but apparently I have flue and will stay away from metcons for a couple of days. I will still do strength and gymnastics.

On diet, I am going through all Paleo stuff I can find. It is really surprising to see how extremely insightful and deep in knowledge are Loren Cordain's articles and how poor his thoughts are presented in his The Paleo Diet book. If I have not read his online material first I would never guessed how much of an expert he really is from that book. I would not consider to buy any of his books in the future as he really goes overboard in simplifying with exception probably of The Paleo Diet for Athletes as excerpt about calcium loss was pretty good. On the other hand whatever articles by him I was able to find without exception were packed with useful info and interesting facts.

Alexander Kornishev

Feb 25, 2009

DE

Shoulder Press from pins: 10x2 105#

Gymnastics

HSPU (parallettes one box): 15x1

Yewkis: 7x3

I removed one box (about 1") today for HSPU and switched to singles. It did not feel hard, hopefully in 3-4 weeks I will be able to remove all boxes and go all the way down (shoulders to parallettes). Flue is still bad.

Alexander Kornishev

Feb 27, 2009

ME

Squat GM

x5: 45, 95, 135

x3: 175, 195, 215

x1: 235, 250, 260, 270, 280, 290 (fail)

First time doing those, I did not know where my limit was and it took forever to get to 290 which still did not seem like it was a limit. I failed at 290 because I lost balance and started falling backwards, wanted to dump weight on safety bars but I had to jump back in order to keep standing and was too far from the rack then had to jump forward again to keep balance and finally squat out of this misery... That was close... I think there is no need to max out this exercise with singles, x3 should be safer and heavy enough. I will do gymnastics and supplementary exercise in the evening.

Evening

Gymnastics

On rings:

L-Sit to Shoulder Stand back to L-Sit (3 sec hold each position):10x2

Rev. Yewkies: 8x2