This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Form check- HS1/IM7

Started by Jon Douglas, April 6, 2013 · 22 Replies · 960 Views

Jon Douglas

Hi all,

 

This was taken after today's HS1 session. Hands are at about shoulder width + 1 hands width (after first rep). Just wanted to run it by people here, since I'm quite stunned that in a week it's progressed this far. I can't see how I might be cheating it, but if I am subtly doing so then best I know about it now!

 

 

Wasn't sure about best angle etc, so if a re-film is better than let me know.

Cheers~

Jon Douglas

(Also, do my traps look sort of like a butt between my shoulders? CANNOT UN-SEE)

Adriano Augusto

Seems good to me except the tempo you're using, that is to fast compared to the athlete, but it is easy to fix for sure.

 

Have you tried without the seat pad in order to your chin (and head) is more in contact with the floor? 

 

Despite that, a little bit shoulder width and you get it.

 

Good progress Charm!

Jon Douglas

Cheers. The tempo isn't difficult at all, the weight is in complete control. The cushion is just to save.my skin :-) but you're right, an inch or two height could make a difference. Ill test that later

Adriano Augusto

Or maybe doesn't make a difference and you're actually in good progrees due to practice Charm :D

 

I noted that feel of "practice makes better" very quickly on IM1. I moved to PE2/IM2 but I keep doing 20minutes of IM1 twice a week  (for the sake of stretching) and I've gone IN TWO WEEKS from doing mastery at almost shoulder width with 2,5kgs to doing at shoulder width with 5kgs.

 

The general recomendation was do the mobility almost at shoulder width (not exactly shoulder width), but due to practice and intensive stretching, at least on IM1 and in my particular casse, I have improve so much.

 

So, if you are experiencing the same things, it just that perfect practice is doing their job :D

Jon Douglas

Yeah, I'm really surprised how quickly I've warmed to these stretches. I reached mastery benchmarks for IM 5 and 6 in two weeks for each, and this one is within sight of following the same timeline. I expected to spend months on these dislocate elements and haven't pushed it hard at all, just gone to my comfortable limit for the day.

 

I got 2/5 sets today at shoulder width + 1 hand width, which is my benchmark-- no progressing until I get all 5x5 reps at that width!

 

 

I don't think the cushion's an issue in this video; the bar's still going the same path from the floor, but I'll switch to a flat towel instead just to be safe. If anyone picks up anything else I've missed, or has any comments or advice, please do let me know.

Keilani Gutierrez

maybe just go all the way to touchin your butt with the stick. I know this might be a little challenging, im working on it too in my dislocates. especially undergrip

FredInChina

Very nice Charm, this is wonderful progress :)

Jon Douglas
KeilaniG said:

maybe just go all the way to touchin your butt with the stick. I know this might be a little challenging, im working on it too in my dislocates. especially undergrip

Didn't notice that either actually, had to rewatch to see what you meant. Really don't think that's an issue though, there's no stretch or anything once it reaches that angle. Still, will shift the weights out the way to be 100% sure.

 

FredInChina said:

Very nice Charm, this is wonderful progress :)

 

Cheers, couple of little details as identified above to fix, but otherwise I'm feeling good about it :)

 

Will re-film and re-post after Tuesday H1 session, so if y'all wouldn't mind dropping back then....

Keilani Gutierrez

man...doing those dislocates prone look like they feel so good once a nice degree of strength are in the trapz. I tried doing one the other day and i couldnt lift my 10lb weight! it felt crazy!

Jon Douglas

It took a couple of tries to get the feel of it the first time, and that was at a bit more than 2x shoulder width (with the 10lb). It's a quick adjustment though; I'm guessing being very strict on your standing dislocates (no momentum, effort to widen the arc a lot) shortens the learning curve. And yes, that stretch is a beautiful thing, even with some minor  trap cramps in the first 1 or 2 sessions. This is one I'll be doing for a looong time after passing the standard; can't imagine what it must feel like with 20 pounds or more...

Keilani Gutierrez
Charm said:

It took a couple of tries to get the feel of it the first time, and that was at a bit more than 2x shoulder width (with the 10lb). It's a quick adjustment though; I'm guessing being very strict on your standing dislocates (no momentum, effort to widen the arc a lot) shortens the learning curve. And yes, that stretch is a beautiful thing, even with some minor  trap cramps in the first 1 or 2 sessions. This is one I'll be doing for a looong time after passing the standard; can't imagine what it must feel like with 20 pounds or more...

what's going to be rad is doing them with 45lbs....thats an olympic bar in weight, man. no wonder this series is called Liquid Steel™ :P 

Jon Douglas
KeilaniG said:

what's going to be rad is doing them with 45lbs....thats an olympic bar in weight, man. no wonder this series is called Liquid Steel™ :P

IKR! So motivating.

 

 

I'll post a re-shoot tomorrow to check my form on this, and see how my ROM is after a couple days off. Please do drop back and hint me.

Keilani Gutierrez
Charm said:

IKR! So motivating.

 

 

I'll post a re-shoot tomorrow to check my form on this, and see how my ROM is after a couple days off. Please do drop back and hint me.

only if you help me with my iM's. #isanoob  oh God! now that you remind me of that, I think I almost shoulder width grip on HS/PE1, i'll post a vid tomorrow on it. 

Jon Douglas

Goooooood morning all~~~

Here's my next attempt. During the course of today, I discovered;

- Whether the weights landed on my back or whether I reached it with the stick didn't change the stretch at all.

- However, using a towel instead of a cushion definitely did. The stretch was just the same, but the pull itself was noticeably more difficult, leverage not so good from there.



 

This video begins with hands at a little less than 1.5 width and progresses to a little wider than shoulder width. So unless you can pick things for me to improve (please~~) I will continue to work on this standard until all my reps are at the width of the last one shown here. Onegai shimasu~~

Jon Douglas
ewethestuff said:

Looking good - and you were so worried about shoulder ROM a few weeks ago!

IKR-- stunned at how quickly and profoundly proper guidance and concentration can fix issues. I mean, I knew it would work, but I was prepared for much more long term-- did not expect to see significant differences in EVERY session.

 

 

I've bumped up the weight to 1x 4kg and 1x 5kg each on 2 sets of PE/IM5 & 6 as warmups, for anyone's reference, and will stay there for the remainder of this 4 week cycle before thinking about increasing it a little again. I also did 6kg Xiaopengs each way (tried with 8 but form broke after a couple reps) as a warmup today.

 

Hoping to have 7 close to in the bag by the end of this week, but won't be disappointed if it doesn't, because frankly it feels great and will be a part of my warmup for the forseeable future.

Jon Douglas

Anyone else? Or is no reply an indication that I'm doing it right?

Joshua Slocum

Looks good to me. Stick with the towel instead of the cushion. 

Jon Douglas
Hari_Seldon said:

Looks good to me. Stick with the towel instead of the cushion. 

Yep, got that one :) Should've been obvious, but didn't realise how high it put me. Cheers.

Keilani Gutierrez

tried a few prone dislocates yesterday as a cooldown and the results were outrageous. on April 9th, at the widest i could possibly grip my weighted stick, it didn't even bother coming off the ground so high, so it was impossible to get overhead.(probably raised 3-4 inches)

 

been warming up for H1 with HS/PE>iM 1 & 2. close to shoulder width + 1 hands width and i tried the prone dislocate at the width I do HS/PE1 and it went over. im stunned with how much strength such a small weight is creating when you implement working with angles. 

 

i report this because the pesky neck spasms i used to get, have not sprung up for a while now. 

Jon Douglas

The prone dislocates are awesome, IM8 in particular has quickly become one of my favourite drills. Because of the leverage it's very hard to lift the weight with your arms, so it refines that skill of pulling with the traps, which for some reason I unexpectedly find a little easier with the undergrip. I imagine this is great prep for press handstands in that respect, especially as the weight rises.

Keilani Gutierrez

how have your press handstands gotten since you started H1?

Jon Douglas
KeilaniG said:

how have your press handstands gotten since you started H1?

Only tried one or two honestly- easy. perfectly happy to work through h1 and get a perfect line/ crazy should and back mobility first, my presses are a long way from the standard and it sucks trying to unlearn motor patterns